There is no excuse for not having this one in your collection. A scintillating season with three drivers still in the championship hunt at the final round – and we all know what happened to Nigel Mansell at that infamous race.
The video is packed with spectacular action from classic mid-eighties turbo cars, including the Mansell/Nelson Piquet battles in the Williams FW11, Keke Rosberg’s swansong in the McLaren MP4/2C, and the last ever John Player Special-liveried Lotus.
1986 is not so well remembered for being the year in which Elio de Angelis died in a testing accident at Paul Ricard. Narrator Clive James gives suitable pause from his otherwise light-hearted commentary to pay tribute.
Otherwise this is an essential video and there’s very little to say against it – except perhaps the somewhat odd inclusion of a few semi-naked beach ‘beauties’ at the French race. That aside, this should be top of your list if you’ve not already bought a copy.
Best bit: Of course there’s the dramatic finale in Australia, but there’s also the photo-finish between Mansell and Ayrton Senna at Jerez to savour.
F1 Fanatic verdict
F1 Fanatic earns a commission on products sold via the links to our affiliate partners above, however you are not charged any extra. See here for more information.
- Fanatec CSL DD direct-drive steering wheel system reviewed
- Thrustmaster T248 steering wheel & pedals reviewed
- “Murray Walker: Incredible!” by Maurice Hamilton reviewed
- “Al Unser Jnr: A Checkered Past” reviewed
- “Schumacher” – Michael Schumacher Netflix biopic reviewed
- “F1 2021”: The official Formula 1 game reviewed
- “Indy Split: The Big Money Battle that Nearly Destroyed Indy Racing” reviewed
- “Formula E: Racing for the Future” reviewed
- “Mosley: It’s Complicated” – Max Mosley biopic reviewed
- Moto GP 21 – The official Moto GP game reviewed