Fernando Alonso escaped a grid penalty for tomorrow’s British Grand Prix after his team fitted the wrong tyre to his car during qualifying.
Alonso was sent onto the track with a tyre which was supposed to be used by team mate Jenson Button. McLaren admitted a “communication error” had led to the mistake and the stewards gave the team a formal reprimand.
Also during qualifying eleven drivers – more than half the field – had lap times deleted for abusing track limits. Most drivers were penalised for going off the track at Copse (turn nine) and at least one was found to have gone off at Club (turn 18).
Romain Grosjean, Nico Hulkenberg, Daniil Kvyat, Roberto Merhi, Sergio Perez, Kimi Raikkonen, Daniel Ricciardo, Carlos Sainz, Max Verstappen and Sebastian Vettel all had one lap time deleted, while Pastor Maldonado lost two of his times.
2015 British Grand Prix
- 44.44% vote Hamilton Driver of the Weekend
- Surprises at Silverstone enliven British GP
- Reality bites after F1’s Silverstone high
- 2015 British Grand Prix team radio transcript
- Top ten pictures from the 2015 British Grand Prix