Renault has become the first Formula 1 team to add a face mask to its official range of branded merchandise.
It is marketing the washable and reusable masks specifically to “protect against Covid-19”. Renault claims they offer a “protection efficiency against the virus” of over 90% and meet the specifications set down by France’s national organisation for standardisation AFNOR (Association Francaise de Normalisation).
Individual masks are priced at €4.99 (£4.49) and are available in black as well as the team’s colours. Renault is also selling a ‘week pack’ of five masks and a ‘family pack’ of 10. “All profits from the sale of these masks will be donated to associations,” it adds.
Last week the World Health Organization revised its official guidance regarding the use of face masks to safeguard against the spread of the pandemic, encouraging their wider use among the elderly and those with underlying health conditions.
Renault will follow Mercedes and other teams by holding a test using its two current race drivers in a 2018 car next week in order for the team to practice changes to its race weekend procedure arising from the pandemic. Esteban Ocon will drive the R28 at the Red Bull Ring on Tuesday following by Daniel Ricciardo on Wednesday.
Ocon was among the drivers seen wearing a face mask during F1’s cancelled Australian Grand Prix race weekend in March (below).
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2020 F1 season
- Pictures: Wrecked chassis from Grosjean’s Bahrain fireball crash to go on display
- Bottas vs Rosberg: Hamilton’s Mercedes team mates compared after 78 races each
- F1 revenues fell by $877 million in Covid-struck 2020 season
- Hamilton and Mercedes finally announce new deal for 2021 season
- F1 audience figures “strong” in 2020 despite dip in television viewers