The surgeon who operated on Alex Zanardi says it won’t be possible to judge the extent of his injuries until he regains consciousness.according to the Associated Press.
“He arrived here with major facial cranial trauma, a smashed face, and a deeply fractured frontal bone,” said Olivieri.
Zanardi has been in intensive care since Olivieri performed surgery yesterday evening.
“We won’t see what his neurological state is until he wakes up – if he wakes up,” Olivieri added. “Serious condition means it’s a situation when someone could die. Improvement takes time in these cases. Turns for the worse can be sudden.
“The operation went according to the plan. It’s the initial situation that was very serious.”
Zanardi was brought to the hospital by an air ambulance following an incident in a handbike event on Friday afternoon. The two-times CART IndyCar champion, ex-Formula 1 driver and four-times Paralympics gold medal winner was involved in a collision with a truck.
Don't miss anything new from RaceFans
Follow RaceFans on social media:
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2020 F1 season
- Bottas vs Rosberg: Hamilton’s Mercedes team mates compared after 78 races each
- F1 revenues fell by $877 million in Covid-struck 2020 season
- Hamilton and Mercedes finally announce new deal for 2021 season
- F1 audience figures “strong” in 2020 despite dip in television viewers
- 2020 F1 driver rankings #1: Lewis Hamilton