Alex Zanardi has undergone a third operation on the head and facial injuries he suffered last month.
The director of the hospital’s maxillofacial surgery unit, Professor Paolo Gennaro, said Zanardi’s fractures were “complex”.
“This required careful programming that made use of computerised, digital and three-dimensional technologies made to measure for the patient,” he added. “The complexity of the case was rather singular, even if it is a type of fracture that we routinely face in our centre.”
Zanardi’s condition is otherwise unchanged, the hospital reported. His neurological condition is severe and he remains sedated on a mechanical ventilator in the ICU. His prognosis is confidential, and further updates will only be issued in the event of significant changes in his condition.
Ferrari paid tribute to the ex-F1 driver, two-times CART IndyCar champion and four-times Paralymic gold medallist in last weekend’s Austrian Grand Prix, racing with the message ‘Forza Alex’ on their cars.
Don't miss anything new from RaceFans
Follow RaceFans on social media:
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2020 F1 season
- Pictures: Wrecked chassis from Grosjean’s Bahrain fireball crash to go on display
- Bottas vs Rosberg: Hamilton’s Mercedes team mates compared after 78 races each
- F1 revenues fell by $877 million in Covid-struck 2020 season
- Hamilton and Mercedes finally announce new deal for 2021 season
- F1 audience figures “strong” in 2020 despite dip in television viewers