Fernando Alonso is expected to get back behind the wheel of a Formula 1 car next week for the first time since announcing his 2021 comeback.Circuit de Catalunya on Tuesday.
However the team did not confirm any details of the plans when asked by RaceFans at the Nurburgring today. “I cannot confirm,” said managing director Cyril Abiteboul. “It’s not a yes or a no.”
While in-season testing is tightly restricted in Formula 1, Renault have a number of options they can consider to give Alonso a run. This could include using one of their allocated filming days which would allow Alonso to drive their 2020 car, albeit over a limited distance and on demonstration tyres only.
The team also has the option of running its 2018 car as it did at the Red Bull Ring in June prior to the start of the season. This would allow Alonso to cover a greater mileage. They may even choose to do both.
Alonso visited the Renault factory last month for a seat fitting in preparation for his return to to Formula 1. He last drove an F1 car in April 2019, when he tested for his previous team McLaren in Bahrain.
Don't miss anything new from RaceFans
Follow RaceFans on social media:
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2020 F1 season
- Bottas vs Rosberg: Hamilton’s Mercedes team mates compared after 78 races each
- F1 revenues fell by $877 million in Covid-struck 2020 season
- Hamilton and Mercedes finally announce new deal for 2021 season
- F1 audience figures “strong” in 2020 despite dip in television viewers
- 2020 F1 driver rankings #1: Lewis Hamilton