Mercedes have won the Formula 1 constructors championship for the eighth year in a row, extending their record.Sergio Perez’s retirement in the latter stages of the race left Red Bull unable to beat Mercedes to the title.
Mercedes has won every constructors’ title since F1’s hybrid era was introduced in 2014. Lewis Hamilton, who has been with Mercedes since the start of their winning streak, and Valtteri Bottas, who departs the team for Alfa Romeo at the end of this season, have now won five constructors’ titles between them, Hamilton also having won three prior in partnership with former driver Nico Rosberg.
Hamilton lost the drivers’ championship to Red Bull’s Max Verstappen in the race. However Mercedes have lodged two protests following the conclusion of the grand prix.
History of F1 constructors’ champions
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix
- Ferrari chairman wants “more clarity” in FIA’s application of F1 rules
- I spoke up for Hamilton because he speaks up for others says fan behind Abu Dhabi petition
- FIA appoints F1’s Nielsen to sporting director role created after Abu Dhabi row
- Abu Dhabi’s legacy one year on: How the controversial 2021 finale changed F1
- F1 must be able to correct consequences of mistakes in race management – Seidl