The FIA has confirmed it will hold a hearing in response to Ferrari’s request to review Carlos Sainz Jnr’s Australian Grand Prix penalty on Tuesday.Fernando Alonso.
The FIA confirmed Ferrari has brought a petition under article 14 of the International Sporting Code requesting a review of the Australian Grand Prix stewards’ decision in document 46. A virtual hearing will be held to determine whether Ferrari has identified “a significant and relevant new element” which merits a reconsideration of Sainz’s penalty.
If Ferrari fails to meet that standard, Sainz’s penalty will not be reviewed. Otherwise, the team will have a chance to regain their lost points. The hearing will begin at 8am CET on April 18th.
Sainz labelled the stewards’ decision “the most unfair penalty I’ve seen in my life” after the race. His rival agreed: Alonso said the penalty was “too harsh”.
A five-second penalty is among the most lenient sanctions the stewards can hand down but its effect was amplified by the fact the race finished behind the Safety Car. The drivers who finished behind Sainz ensured they stayed as close to him as possible in order to benefit from his penalty.
Ferrari team principal Frederic Vasseur revealed the team’s plan to overturn the penalty last week. He and Sainz complained the team were not given the opportunity to discuss the incident with the stewards, unlike the Alpine drivers who crashed around the same time.
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2023 F1 season
- Steward’s admission Verstappen should have had penalty frustrates his rivals
- Perez admits he’s “two steps behind” after qualifying 0.7s off Verstappen at Suzuka
- No penalties for Leclerc, Bottas and Zhou for exceeding lap time limit
- Sargeant was having ‘good day’ until ‘another hugely costly small mistake’
- Piastri says he could have gone quicker after claiming front row spot on Suzuka debut