F1

Five things to expect this weekend

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    JT19
    Participant

I thought I would make a thread that YOU can make a prediction what will go on throughout a GP weekend on AND off the track. It can be either ‘tongue in cheek’ or how you think it will act out for real in you imagination.

JT19
    Participant

Australian GP edition

1. Majority of the teams lodging an appeal to the FIA about the exhaust positions on the Red Bull and McLaren.
    I am expecting this to happen like it did back in 2009 at Melbourne with the double diffuser saga, but this time with the exhausts. Ferrari will start it off, then Sauber will jump on the wagon to follow their engine supplying friends. Toro Rosso and Marussia won’t get involved as they have links with McLaren and Red Bull.

2. Sergio Perez pushing for another one-stop strategy.
    It worked last year at this track with tyres which wore out more than this years Pirelli rubber (supposingly). Kamui Kobayashi and Sergio kept up the one-stop strategy throughout the year and it worked in the 1st half of the year. They will be practicing this on Friday also with Kamui but they might have to watch out for the weather as it is expecting some rain/thunder on that day.

3. Vettel to stick his car on pole (again!)
    He did it at Melbourne last year by a staggering 8 tenths from 2nd place Lewis Hamilton. He did it a further record 14 times throughout 2011 (15 in total). Expect him to be there or thereabouts this coming Saturday morning.

4. The 3 ‘new’ teams to not make it out of Q1.
    Marussia and HRT have not tested their car out properly over the winter testing, so I expect them to work out their setup throughout Friday and Saturday. Caterham look like they upgrade their car little by little but I expect them to stay in the bottom 18 along with Pastor Maldonado this Saturday, Kovalainen heading the team as Petrov still hasn’t got the right setup approach he’s been wanting.

5. Safety Car out on Lap 1.
    I am expecting the safety car out on lap 1 due to a pile up into turn 1 (although Barrichello’s not here to bash into anyone, he seems to always do that at Melbourne). I reckon it will come from the midfield from the likes of Petrov, Senna and Massa. I just hope Hamilton’s so far forward, he’s not involved in it at all!

Estesark
    Participant

Not bad, @JT19, but there are a couple of things puzzling me:

Ferrari will start it off, then Sauber will jump on the wagon to follow their engine supplying friends.

After Red Bull and McLaren, Sauber are the team most utilising their exhaust to blow their diffuser. I’m not sure why they would protest when they would be in danger of compromising their own set-up.

although Barrichello’s not here to bash into anyone, he seems to always do that at Melbourne

Barrichello’s not here at all!

JT19
    Participant

@estesark I know Barrichello’s not here, that is why I wrote “Barrichello’s not here to bash into anyone”. With the other comment, I completely forgot about Sauber’s exhaust system with Red Bull copying the majority of it. I guess Sauber won’t appeal, and then WILL fall out with Ferrari LOL :D

Estesark
    Participant

@JT19 Sorry, I just misinterpreted your “not here” comment! If I said “Kimi’s not here to bring up the rear of the grid”, it would mean that Kimi is here, but he has a different reason for being here. That’s what I assumed you meant as well.

damonsmedley
    Participant

@JT19

I am expecting the safety car out on lap 1 due to a pile up into turn 1.

I’m seated on the inside of turn 1, so I’ll be sure to have the camera ready!

raymondu999
    Participant

@damonsmedley Wow there’s a grandstand on the inside of T1? I’ve never been to the Melbourne circuit – I always thought the grandstand was facing down the pit straight.

damonsmedley
    Participant

@raymondu999 Yep! It’s where I was last year:

Ryan Williams
    Participant

@damonsmedley @raymondu999 I caught this at the start of the 2006 race from T1

damonsmedley
    Participant

@RyanWilliams I’d already seen that video! I remember the description: “Shot by my 12-year-old son.” Was that the Brabham stand? It looks further around the corner. I know there used to be a smaller stand around from Brabham, but they got rid of it a few years ago for some reason.

Ryan Williams
    Participant

Predictions:

1. A big name to drop out in Q1: Australia has a history of strange results, and I expect one of the top drivers may be caught out in Quali in some way, either through mechanical failure or driver error.

2. Ferrari are faster than we think: This one is from my imagination. I would love to see Ferrari return to form, especially Felipe, but it doesn’t look good at the moment :(

3. Vettel on pole: This one is about 99.9% certain

4. 1st lap crash: Judging by previous races here, I don’t think we’ll be too surprised if there’s contact into Turn 1 or 2

5. Points for Ricciardo: Again, judging by previous races, the Australian GP has a fairly high attrition rate. STR seem to have good pace and Ricciardo, spurred on by home support, may sneak into the Top 10 on Sunday

Ryan Williams
    Participant

@damonsmedley Yeah, it was the last grandstand of the Turn 1 area, before the straight down to Turn 2. It was a great place to watch, and after the race we collected some pieces of Ferrari nosecone!

katederby
    Participant

*Webber to NOT start the race with either a broken leg (’09) or a broken chassis (’11)… here’s hoping.

*Points for Ricciardo would be great… P5 anyone?

*No rain!

*No Safety Car

*Still a thrilling race.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.