F1

Argentinean Grand Prix: the circuit in Mar del Plata

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 125 total)
  • Author
    necrodethmortem
    Participant

Looking at that, a few things annoy me: the chicane before the 90° left, coming off the pier; the chicane at the naval base, followed by two slow righthanders and the silly roundabout, which is a sad attempt at mimicking Loews.

Here is what I would do: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5417024
    -No chicane before turn 2. It served no purpose, that building will be fine.
    -An S in the straight to the naval base, because it’s too short for an overtaking opportunity anyways and it makes it more interesting.
    -Instead of the two slow righthanders, just follow the road that’s already there. Just widen it and keep it concrete, the change of surface will make it more interesting.
    -Just a fast right kink instead of going round the roundabout. It’s going to be dangerous, but not extremely. A crash won’t be a high energy impact.

I’d still prefer Potrero, but at least this layout is not a boring sequence of chicanes, 90° turns and hairpins.

matt90
    Participant

I’ve said it before. I like the basic shape and think there is a good circuit there somewhere. Necro has shown that. I think any variation without the first 2 chicane sequences and with the roundabout gone would be looking good.

Fer no.65
    Participant

-Just a fast right kink instead of going round the roundabout. It’s going to be dangerous, but not extremely. A crash won’t be a high energy impact.

They’d go very fast uphill and suddently sweep right when it flattens. Like Eau Rouge but somehow worse, as it’s a street track. I don’t think that’s a good idea… I bet that’s why they put the roundabout section.

@prisoner-monkeys I posted that weeks ago :P

necrodethmortem
    Participant

@fer-no65 I know, but the roundabout isn’t a good idea either. If there’s a crash, there will be a traffic jam and the race might need to be red flagged.

In case of the kink, an impact with the wall will be at an obtuse angle, so most of the kinetic energy will dissipate. The biggest danger is a car or debris bouncing back into the path of another car.

If there’s no other way, I think the best solution is a chicane where that painted triangle is.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

@welshf1

Northern Ireland is completely different. Nobody is essentially ‘blockading’ them.

That’s as may be, but as far as I can tell, there were never any calls for the British Grand Prix to be called off during The Troubles. And while imperialism might be dead, what you are saying amounts to imperialism. You are suggesting that Argentina should not have a Grand Prix until they have found more-favourable terms with Great Britain, mostly through dropping any claim to the Falklands. By extension of this, you are effectively saying that no country (certainly no new country) should have a Grand Prix unless the government is on amicable terms with the British government, thereby giving Britain the ability to influence the calendar when she has no claim or right to do so.

SteveMovieVoice
    Participant

@Prisoner-Monkeys No, I do not simply believe Britain should decide the calendar. That job is up to the French, however the Argentine government are extremrly unprofessional in the way they go about their business. Take the Falklands and this new YPF energy dispute. All of this is just a smokescreen to the real problems there. The President is immensely populist, on the fringes of unrealism.

Your claims of imperialism are groundless in this dispute. It is uo to the islanders if they want to remain British, Argentine or go independent. We certainly aren’t going to stop them if they announce a referendum. Besides, what Argentina are doing amounts to colonialism, much more than Britain. They want to force their own ides on them,against their wishes. Britain only defend the islands militarily and diplomatically. Therefore what Argentina are trying to do is much more like imperialism.
    I could go on, and will, but later.

matt90
    Participant

@Prisoner-monkeys, why did you bring up a dead argument from 5 days ago, despite the fact that you and others have been talking on topic since then?

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Because, reading back over the topic, I found that I hadn’t replied to that particular point.

Fer no.65
    Participant

@Prisoner-Monkeys No, I do not simply believe Britain should decide the calendar. That job is up to the French, however the Argentine government are extremrly unprofessional in the way they go about their business. Take the Falklands and this new YPF energy dispute. All of this is just a smokescreen to the real problems there. The President is immensely populist, on the fringes of unrealism.

Your claims of imperialism are groundless in this dispute. It is uo to the islanders if they want to remain British, Argentine or go independent. We certainly aren’t going to stop them if they announce a referendum. Besides, what Argentina are doing amounts to colonialism, much more than Britain. They want to force their own ides on them,against their wishes. Britain only defend the islands militarily and diplomatically. Therefore what Argentina are trying to do is much more like imperialism.
    I could go on, and will, but later.

First off, do you really know what happened to YPF since the spanish got it? First of, it’s true Carlos Menem sold a massive petrol company to Repsol for 5 dollars, emptying the country. And yes, in part, Nestor Kirchner was part of the deal.

But Repsol emptied the company, in a very similar way to what they did to Aerolineas Argentinas. There was no petrol in Argentina, we had to import it most of the times, they didn’t research for more because “it wasn’t worth it” from the Spanish point of view, as the argentinean goverment had to take a share of it and it’d make no point for them to invest money and give half to Argentina. Maybe it wasn’t the best way, but we had to do it some day. YPF must remain ours…

Argentina are doing amounts to colonialism much more than Britain, huh? nice way to make my laugh.

I don’t want to get into the Malvinas argument. It doesn’t belong to this topic which is about the Grand Prix and shouldn’t have much to do with British-Argentina discussion. I cannot understand is why you both keep getting into this argument. Can’t you discuss it via private message?

SteveMovieVoice
    Participant

@Fer-no65 I have seen many people respond to that statement with ‘don’t make me laugh’. Simple fact is, it is currently not a colony in the truest sense. A colony is a territory completely governed by another country. The Islanders govern themselves in almost every area apart from foreign relations and defense, with Britain having a responsibility for good democracy. With Argentina taking them over, they WILL be governed by a foreign power, a power that they will not want governing them, so therefore will become am Argentine colony. Laugh it off, but its true. Let them be and let them decide their own future.

But anyway, as you said, this is about a rather pathetic ‘race track’ that might be constructed in Argentina. In my opinion Argentina has much deeper problems that it should think about before funding a Grand Prix. You may be right that YPF ‘needed’ to be taken over by the government, but as the Spanish government have said, the fact that the company has been nationalised will no doubt turn some companies away from investing. You can’t simply nationalise a foreign owned company if you believe they aren’t doing good enough. Looks as though trade is going suffer, now. First Argentina needs to sort itself out, then it should consider funding and organising a GP around a rather boring looking track.

Fer no.65
    Participant

Bah… it’s like talking to a wall.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m sure I read somewhere that de Kirchner gave today’s date – the 15th – as the date the contract for the race would be signed. Or possibly the 22nd. But I can’t remember where I read it, so I can’t provide a source for it.

EDIT – This says May, but doesn’t give a date:

http://www.auto.it/autosprint/formula_1/2012/04/05-10730/La+F.1+torner%C3%A0+in+Argentina+nel+2013

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

If the Argentine and French Grands Prix are going to happen, then they need to be announced soon. June is just around the corner, which is usually when the first draft of the calendar is announced; the 2012 calendar was announced on 3 June last year. Since the French Grand Prix is likely to be a mid-year event, and because Argentina will probably twin with Interlagos to become the penultimate or final event of the season, they need to hurry up and announce things because Bernie won’t want to make massive changes to the calendar late in the year. It’s fussy, time consuming, and the other circuits hate it.

Asanator
    Participant

I think we should rename Silverstone the English Grands Prix and have a race on the Falklands called the British GP!

Fer no.65
    Participant

@prisoner-monkeys A newspaper here talked to Bernie at Monaco and when asked about the possible race in Argentina, Bernie said: “I have no idea about it”

Seems now it’s all hype and it’s not going to happen. It’s been very quiet in the last month or so, and even the other day at the official presentation of the MotoGP race in Argentina for 2013 they said: “It’s going to be the biggest sporting event of the year”.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 125 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.