F1

Track designing contest

• This topic has 2,432 replies, 84 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Jason.
Viewing 15 posts - 1,801 through 1,815 (of 2,433 total)
  • Author
    Marco Freire
    Participant

After much deliberating between the entries of , , and , I have decided that is the winner of this challenge. Overall, a very good design, I liked the use of the opposite oval section and the variation of corners.

Over to the winner of this most recent challenge!

Mathers
    Participant

Thank you very much @mfreire!

You get a lot of circuits now that try to be as long as possible in the space they occupy. However, some great tracks are of a shorter length, such as Knockhill, the Dijon-Prenois circuit amongst others. I would like you to make a short circuit of around 1 to 2.5 miles, either on the ground of an existing track, or anywhere. It can be purpose built or a street circuit, but focus on the flow of the layout and don’t try to condense the track into a tiny land area.

If nobody likes the competition, let me know and I’ll think of something else!

Marco Freire
    Participant

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6475853

Here is my official entry.

This is a 2.57 mile (4.14 km) street circuit around the Bayil Park neighborhood of Baku, Azerbaijan. It has about 450 feet of elevation change. This circuit includes a .9 mile straight and a variation of corners, plus some twisty sections and hairpins.

ching ho
    Participant

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6480925

Unlike Mr.Vmaxmuffin, I decided to go absolutely bonkers. Using the same pit straight. Drivers start with a short drag uphill, towards Turn 1. The blind apex opens towards a steep downhill section, towards turn 2, a long, downhill right hand curve, similar to Suzuka’s spoon curve. The track passes under itself, then climbs steeply again to turns 3 and 4 – a chicane resembling the corkscrew at Laguna Seca. The track drops back to the original pit straight, and leads to turn 5, a right hander, where positioning of the car is essential for the next corners. Turns 6 to 13 comprise of a massive rhythm section, where, again, positioning of the car is essential. Turn 13 necessitates a good exit to defend from other cars. Turn 14 is a tight left hander – an opportune overtaking spot, which opens up to turns 15 and 16, a downhill, off-camber right hander, similar to Malaysia’s turn 10 and 11. Turns 17 and 18 are two NASCAR-style banked, wide turns, which, again, funnel into turn 19, 20, and 21 – a double apex right hander similar to Malaysia’s turn 7 and 8. Again, the track heads sharply uphill into a fast right left chicane (mirrored eau rouge). After reaching the top of turn 24, drivers brake hard, swerving to the left of the track, as they negotiate a very steep downhill turn (turn 25). The entry is blind, and the curve crosses under the track. This then opens up to turn 26 and 27, two long, sweeping flat-out corners. Pit lane is identical.

ching ho
    Participant

Please disregard the post above. My computer has malfunctioned, and has posted something 2 days too late. My apologies.

Marco Freire
    Participant

Wow. Just… wow. Had you modified that bit that went behind the current pits so that it was farther away from the pits, I would have chosen yours. But since rules are rules…

Toti
    Participant

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6481666

2.0887 mi/3.3615 km

I tried to used the removed part of Hockenheimring.

ching ho
    Participant

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6482365

My entry for this challenge. Track rotates clockwise. 1.7 miles. Location is Hong Kong’s old Kai Tak Airport. Starts with a triple right-hander, then a tight left hander. Opens up to a short straight, then a smooth right-left complex. Opens up to a longer straight, then a right-left chicane and long right hander.

PhilEReid
    Participant

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6482901

2.3 miles or 3.7km circuit. 11 corners, clockwise.

T1 is like many other tracks I do, a tight hairpin. I like there to be a clear overtaking opportunity for T1, and a hairpin like this can allow for the switch back to happen. T2,3 is a relatively slow chicane complex, a slightly tighter and shorter version of T8,9 at Hungaroring. There is then a short straight down to the sweeping right hander of T4. There is then a medium length straight that runs down to T5, a very quick left handed, half sweeper half kink, which follows quickly on to T6, a very similar corner. Both corners make it look like one long double apex corner, but there is a short straight between the two.

There is then a short straight to T7, another quick sweeping right hander. T8 follows a straight. T8 is quite a nice corner, with it being quite long and open, it should be quite good to watch cars through. T9 follows, a hairpin which is opportune for overtaking. T10,11 follow, a chicane which is quite long, an open first part and a tighter second part, leading back onto the main straight.

juicedtin
    Participant

French Grand Prix

Formula one is looking to move back to France, in particular Circuit de Charade. Described as a direct contrast to Monza providing a very technical circuit through the French countryside, the circuit was no longer used in the F1 calendar since the early 70’s. The track was downsized firstly after safety concerns where appropriate run off was not available. Since modern Formula 1 demands certain safety prerequisites, and the strange occurrence of the FIA requesting F1 race on a short track, the circuit was shortened once again to the 3km layout we see in the link below.

3km
    Clockwise

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com?r=6482928

Turns 1 through to turn 3 are as the original circuit, but turn 3 dips down in to a natural valley and descends in to turn 4 and 5, the old turn 14, which is now a long right left corkscrew descending even further in to the valley. We climb up out of the valley as the road winds its way up the hill to the hairpin of turn 6 a corner with lots of natural camber and allows the cars to really move with alot of speed through it and back downhill with plenty of traction out of the corner. The track connects back up to the old final sector of the circuit which flows and rolls through the french country side.

Marco Freire
    Participant

When is the deadline for this challenge?

Mathers
    Participant

@mfreire thank you for reminding me! Nobody has entered for a while, so I will judge now. All of the entries were brilliant, and I would love to see all of them built and raced on! Third place is @mfreire with his brilliant Baku street circuit – I wish Tilke had asked you for help! Close runner up is @PhilERead with his brilliant take on Mosport, but for me the winner has to be @juicedtin for his great circuit!

juicedtin
    Participant

Thanks @mathers !

With the current state of Formula one, many in the sport are looking at the past with rose tinted glasses. This week I want you to look back to the past as well and bring back a modified, and modernized version of a circuit which was once used but now is no longer on the calendar.

Rules for this challenge are:

– Must be an ex-F1 circuit
    – One lap must be less than 8km
    – Room for pit facilities
    – Adequate safety standards for modern racing

Bonus points awarded for working with lesser known tracks!

The deadline will be on Monday around noon GMT

Have fun! :)

Marco Freire
    Participant

Here is my entry.

Ex-F1 circuit: Autodromo Juan y Oscar Galvez, Buenos Aires, Argentina

Length/Direction: 4.38 mi (7.05 km)

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6468802

This is a re-design of the Autodromo Galvez in the Argentine capital of Buenos Aires, which hosted F1 races from 1953-1960, 1971-1981 and 1995-1998 in different variants of the same circuit. This is IMO one of the great purpose-built motor racing circuits of all time, and this was the only Argentine facility to host F1 races; and IMO this is a country where F1 needs to come back to- Argentina is a country that has a considerable motor racing culture and a long history of motor racing. But back to the circuit- this is a re-design using new, but mostly existing elements of the current circuit. It is a combination of the No.15 and No.6 circuits- it includes the very fast Esses after the pit straight and the 1.8 mile flat-out section that goes around the lake there in the city park where the circuit is located. After that, the twisty section comes up, which includes 2 brand-new right and left corners that lead into an existing section. The cars then go through this infield arena up to a hairpin. When utilized, this aforementioned part between the new right-left and the hairpin has cars running in the opposite direction. But anyway, we go through a straight-ish part, then through the fast Toboggan right-left, then into the right-handed Horquilla (Spanish for hairpin). Then we finish with a right-left chicane that takes the cars out onto the pit straight.

Because of it’s considerable variation in layout, this is a circuit that is hard on everything- drivers, chassis, engines, gearboxes, tires, brakes, suspensions, you name the automotive component on an F1 car- this track is hard on it. And it also has wide open spaces, where drivers can really race here and have a lot of fun- and the lake loop makes passing very easy- if there were DRS zones, I would put one on the pit straight, one on the straight after the first two corners, one on the straight after the flat-out looping right hander that goes around the lake, and one on the short straight after the new right-left in the infield.

PhilEReid
    Participant

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6484571

6.25km 16 corner clockwise circuit.

The run down to T1 would be quite short to make sure the cars don’t start on the curve. Turn 1 is the same hairpin that exists there today, but would be widened a bit for F1’s use. T2 comes after about a 450m straight. T2 is a quick sweeping right hander that would be potentially flat. T3 follows after 200m straight, and is almost the same corner as T2 but this time it is a left hander.

T4 follows relatively soon after a 100m gap and is very similar to T3, potentially a little longer but also a smaller angle too. Still flat. T5 follows, quite an open and long hairpin, but still tight enough for it to be a heavy braking zone. T6 extends from T5 and is a long and sweeping right hander, which hopefully should make it hard to put the power down for cars. A 400m straight follows, and leads down to T7, similar to how the circuit goes now, but is slightly more open and is more of a sweeper. T8 comes next, and is exactly the same as that corner always was. These two together should be fun to watch F1 cars through. T9 comes up shortly after, and relatively tight, but again open radius right hander. T10 comes next, after a 200m straight. T10 is a very long corner, and I imagine would be very difficult to get everything right through there. Watching the drivers tackle it would be fun. T11 follows out of T10, and flings the cars in the other direction, and based on how the corners are together, it should mean you have to compromise the perfect line through one to get the other right.

There is then about a 700m straight down to the infamous final corner of the old circuit. T12 is as it always has been, but resurfaced to standard F1 tarmac (if that’s a thing). T13 follows, exactly the same as the old T1, but again resurfaced. There is then a slight kink in the straight approaching T14, though it wouldn’t be a corner. T14 is relatively tight hairpin, similar in profile to T4 at Bahrain only this time it is a left hander. Following directly after this is T15 a flat out left hander which feeds directly into T16, which is essentially a curved straight. This ends the lap. The pit lane goes under ground at the end.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,801 through 1,815 (of 2,433 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.