F1

Has Nico Hulkenbergs pole position saved him for 2011?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Williams should keep Rubens and Nico for 2011, both have raced well.

nik

I don’t see why Williams would want to get rid of either of them.

Money. Sad to say but Williams are not in the best financial condition at the moment. They are an independent team that needs to book profits for the owners and investor – so they do not have the benefit of backing from a manufacturer who can afford to sink in a big budget. They have also lost almost all of their high-profile sponsors in the past few years, and do not have the equivalent of what McLaren have with Vodafone, or Ferrari with Marlboro, holding up the bottom line.

BAR will be there next year, likely on less money, and the Hulk will probably need to either spend a year on loan at a lower team or will take a seat at Renault/Lotus. If Massa is ousted at Ferrari, there could be a merry-go-round that would see the Hulk get a better drive, but I don’t see it happening any other way (I think the chances of Massa not being at Ferrari next year are increasing each time he gets in the car)

If anyone needs to be booted the hell out of their seat, it’s Petrov.

He is alright, just give him another year. He might not ‘arrive’ in the same fashion that Hulk just did, but he is only an offseason plus a few more races away from being a good driver who can deliver points.

rahul1810
    Participant

Williams would need to see if by better performance Hulk can get them more money than what their backers can. Same goes for Renault. If Renault had a better driver, they would have been fighting with Mercedes for Constructors Championship now.

Rather than having to handle a new driver from scratch, they would now have a driver who has experienced all the circuits and is also more confident and better equipped in helping development along. Also the car could be developed keeping his driving style in mind to further benefit.

Williams have gambled a lot of times because of financial backing. Nakajima was a prime example and his 2 years yielded nothing while Nico Rosberg at the same time established a name for himself.

David-A
    Participant

Petrov has more points.

One more point. In a car capable of six times as many points as he currently has.

I mean, come on, even Piquet scored about 1/3 the points of Alonso in 2008, and I don’t think Kubica is better than Alonso. Petrov simply cannot block such a good seat when there are far better drivers on the grid in worse seats, including Hulkenberg and Kobayashi. He’s been shocking. Vitaly doesn’t deserve to drive anything better than an HRT next year.

glue
    Participant

@rahul1810 yes, but now they haven’t got Toyota engines anymore and Rosberg is off to another team..that’s been Williams for some time, easily disposing of anything that might have shown better results long-term..in this case, I think they’ll be better off with the conservative approach

Dan Thorn
    Participant

No. He was already safe. A couple of races ago Patrick Head said he’d done enough on the track to retain his seat, meaning that sponsorship and money was an issue. This merely reinforces his seat in F1, and if Hulkenberg isn’t retained by Williams then Renault could do a lot worse than him.

Petrov isn’t better than Hulkenberg. He has better racecraft, but that’s it. Also Petrov has been much the same throughout the season – fast, but crashprone. Hulkenberg has shown that he can learn and improve, which is critical for rookies. Petrov is my no means a bad driver and I’d like to see him in F1 again next year, but he doesn’t deserve that Renault seat.

GeeMac
    Participant

Ok, call me crazy, but I’ve got a feeling that we could see Williams take on Maldonado as a test driver, with Hulkenberg and Barichello as their race drivers, and then end up rotating the three of them through the season.

Its the only logical conclusion I can come to bearing in mind the fact that Williams aren’t denying the fact that Maldonado is coming to them, and neither are they saying that Rubens or The Hulk are on their way out. Historically Williams send out a very clear message as to who will be driving their cars, but this time is different, so I’m expecting something a bit whacky next year.

Scribe
    Participant

Has it saved his Williams seat? Only time will tell, has it kept in F1? Almost definatley.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I wouldn’t say getting pole has saved his drive. Frank Williams doesn’t strike me as the sentimental type. Damon Hill and Nigel Mansell will tell you that! However, his quality driving to keep Alonso and Hamilton behind did far more for him in my eyes.

Hairs
    Participant

Petrov certainly hasn’t been as good as Hulkenberg, but the “rookie” argument comes very strongly into play when talking about Petrov. Unlike Kobayashi, Hulkenberg, DiGrassi and the other new drivers, not only is he a rookie F1 driver, he’s a rookie open-wheel driver – his background is in a totally different type of motorsport. He hasn’t had the benefit of years toddling around in smaller formulae, learning how single seat open wheel cars behave, how teams go racing, how to work with engineers and designers, how to set up these cars, racing on these tracks, or the F1/Gp2 culture. It’s a pretty incestuous grid out there, we tend to forget.

Petrov hasn’t done the job for Renault from a results point of view, but I still think given his situation he’s been a better driver than Piquet or a lot of the others. He’s a true rookie in a way the others aren’t.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

This thread should be re-named Has Nico Hulkenberg’s 8th place saved him for 2011?

Because I think the answer is “no”. It was a spirited defence against Alonso, but he kind of folded after that.

Hairs
    Participant

I’ll say it here: if Williams ditch either Hulk or Rubens for next year in favour of a pay driver, they’re flushing the team down the drain. This is one of the dominant names from F1, who have fallen by the wayside due to a general slide into mismanagement – they lost Adrian Newey because they wouldn’t give him Patrick Head’s job, despite the fact that Newey even then was acknowledged as a golden man to have. Then they ditched Hill in the most callous and unnecessary fashion, and poisoned their ability to attract top line drivers. Then they let the technical side of the team slip into disarray.

Barrichello is something the team needs – a proper technical expert who can not only drag the team along by demanding results but by teaching the engineers where they’re going wrong. That’s worth far more than the 8 or 10 million that a driver like Maldonado can bring in.

Hulkenberg proved this weekend his reputation built up in GP2 is one he’ll continue into F1, he’s a potential top rank driver with a long career ahead of him. Again, he’ll win points for the team that are worth a lot more than 8 or 10 million that his ex GP2 team-mate can bring in.

Frank Williams started admitting his own weaknesses this year by bringing in a new investor and handing over the CEO reins. Those new heads shouldn’t repeat the mistakes of the past.

Hairs
    Participant

This thread should be re-named Has Nico Hulkenberg’s 8th place saved him for 2011?

Because I think the answer is “no”. It was a spirited defence against Alonso, but he kind of folded after that.

Hulkenberg qualified that car miles past where it was supposed to be. The three front running teams have been in a class of their own for a long time now, and while the qualifying results have been close, and superficially the Rank 2 teams have been doing well, once you get to the midpoint in a race you can usually see a 40-50 second gap between the race winner and the man in the “next best” rank 2 team.

So no, losing places against the cars behind was no great shame.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Hulkenberg qualified that car miles past where it was supposed to be.

Which would have been impressive if qualifying was run in the same conditions as the race. But it wasn’t – Hulkenberg qualified in variable conditions, and it wasn’t the first time the rpevailing weather scrambled the grid. Ever watched the Malaysian Grand Prix? It’s almost as if the race has been deliberately scheduled to be run in the middle of a monsoon.

Scribe
    Participant

PM, he outqualified the grid by a second in a car with less downfroce, and therfore less suited to the conditions then the other cars. Don’t know why your trying to take credit away from that quite sensational acheivement. And the race didn’t go his way, he defended well against Alonso and perfectly against Hamilton and lost out in the pitstops. It was a fairly good drive and about what the car could acheive on the day, why take away from that?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.