F1

Rules Question

• This topic has 14 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I’d like to know if anyone is aware of a rule involving “timing-on-track”. The scenario is this, a F-C yellow comes out and for sake of arguement we’ll assume the leader has a 10 second lead on the 2nd place driver. Once the Green flag comes out again, does the leader assume his 10 second lead?

I would like to know if this is a current rule and/or if it was ever a rule. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Anonymous
    Inactive

No. If the Safety Car comes out all drivers are grouped, then once the race restarts every driver keeps their current position. If there isn’t the Safety Car the yellow flag zone requires drivers to slow down but not so much as behind the SC so the gaps should remain the same.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for the answer. I actually know a little about this but, I didn’t want to present the question as if I was leading someone to a particular answer. I hope more folks reply and answer both parts of the question.

Anonymous
    Inactive

If the yellow flag comes out, say, in sector 2, all drivers will slow down in sector 2 only and therefore the gaps won’t change. If the Safety Car comes out then all drivers are slowed down until they are all one behind the other and therefore gaps are deleted.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

I would like to know if this is a current rule and/or if it was ever a rule.

It is not and never has been a rule. I don’t know of any sport that does have this; it would be impossible to enforce. Once a safety car is deployed, whatever lead the first car has is negated.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for the reply. I’m still hoping for more responses.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Responses to what? You asked a closed question – a question with only one answer, and that answer has been given. There is not and has never been a rule that states a driver is entitled to regain his lead once a safety car pulls off the circuit. How would you enforce it? All the cars would have to pull up on the main straight and the drivers would have to be released one by one. The problem is that you can’t just have a Formula 1 car sitting there and idling because it can damage the engine. It’s an utterly ridiculous idea.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Prisoner Monkeys, Please don’t take offense to what I said. I’m having a discussion with someone who stated this is the rule. I said I didn’t believe it was. I haven’t followed F1 for quite a while but, I didn’t remember it being a rule when I did and I didn’t think it had been changed. I’ve been called every name in the book by someone who thinks I don’t know what I’m talking about. This is more of the answer that I was looking for. I’ve backed up my statements and suggested the other party try going to a F1 forum and asking. They either refuse to or they did and don’t want to admit they were wrong. Either way, I thought what you’ve stated, is true. I only said I wanted more responses because I’d like to have more than just 1 response saying what I’ve been saying. Thanks for your responses and I appreciate you taking time out to give a more detailed explanation.

Tip: don’t have arguments with idiots.

Icthyes
    Participant

To help you out racefan, any leads anyone has is erased by the SC and everyone restarts nose-to-tail. This has always been the case. Even in the days before the Safety Car, they would just restart on the grid, no time gaps were ever re-established.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

I said I didn’t believe it was. I haven’t followed F1 for quite a while but, I didn’t remember it being a rule when I did and I didn’t think it had been changed.

It has never been a rule simply because it is impossible to enforce. I don’t know what you’re expecting, but you’re not going to get anyone who argues that it was a rule when it has never been done.

Polishboy808
    Participant

PM is right, you asked a question, and you got an answer, what else do you want? Unless your the kind if person that likes to hear that theyre right a lot ;)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for the reponses………Take care

Icthyes
    Participant

C’mon guys, the guy didn’t want just one answer because how would that be of any use in an argument with someone else, he wanted multiple confirmation. He could have explained himself at the start, but to keep on…

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sorry for any confusion here. I wasn’t looking for an arguement. I was only looking for more responses to either solidify what I already believed or to have someone that might have said, yes…..there was a time when they did that. I wasn’t just looking to be right. I was looking for the “right” answer. I believe I have gotten the right answer but, just to make sure, I was asking for more people to respond since this is where people in the know (at least about F1 and its rules) would most likely be. I hope that explains a little more about what I was looking for and again, thanks for the responses I did get.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.