F1

The Autosport driver ratings so far!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Theo Parkinson
    Participant

If you don’t know, Autosport rates each drivers performance over a weekend out of 10. Here is the order of the averages so far. Do you agree?
    1) Hamilton 9.2/10
    2) Ricciardo 8.8/10
    3) Alonso 8/10
    4) Rosberg 8/10
    5) Hulkenbeg 7.8/10
    6) Kvyat 7.7/10
    7) Vettel 7.5/10
    8) Grosjean 7.5/10
    9) Button 7.3/10
    10) Vergne 7.2/10
    11) Magnussen 6.8/10
    12) Kobayashi 6.8/10
    13) Bottas 6.8/10
    14) Bianchi 6.7/10
    15) Massa 6.7/10
    16) Raikkonen 6.7/10
    17) Perez 6.5/10
    18) Ericsson 6.2/10
    19) Sutil 5.7/10
    20) Gutierrez 5.7/10
    21) Chilton 5.5/10
    22) Maldonado 4.8/10

Bradley Downton
    Participant

Probably not too far off. I’d move Kamui down a bit and Bottas, Massa and Perez up though.

Kingshark
    Participant

Why is Ricciardo so far ahead of Alonso (by almost a full point)?

Other than #2 and #3, I agree for the most part, though Perez should be a bit higher.

JamieFranklinF1
    Participant

I feel Rosberg being 1.2 behind Hamilton is a little unjustified. Sure, Hamilton had four poles and wins in a row, but Rosberg (aside from Malaysia) was literally with him the whole way, and you could barely tell the difference between the two. Especially when you notice that the gap is essentially the same as Alonso/Raikkonen and Hulkenberg/Perez (Those pairs being 1.3 apart) and it’s certainly nothing like that between the Mercedes duo.

Theo Parkinson
    Participant

@JamieFranklinF1 I’d say in qualifying at least the gap is just as big and aside from Monaco, which was a bit hollow, Hamilton has beaten Rosberg in every race he has done. Also isn’t the gap between first and second the biggest?

JamieFranklinF1
    Participant

Having looked at China and the Malaysian qualifying, I can see where the gap would grow larger, but I still don’t think it’s quite as big as they make out. With Mercedes’ performance, I seemed to forget that Rosberg only got 3rd and 4th in some qualifying sessions, but given how close he was to Hamilton in the other races, I still think he should be closer.

Todd
    Participant

I think Massa and Kobayashi are the only two drivers out of place. Massa is too low, and Kobayashi is probably too high. Switch them and I’d be a lot happier with the list.

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

@kingshark I can only think it is down to consistency.. Ricciardo has beaten Vettel in 5/6 races, being on his tail at Malaysia, after being passed in the race, while Alonso was not in the top level we know he can produce at Barcelona (and not helped by the car in Bahrain), being stuck behind Kimi all weekend. But Alonso is deserving of being in the top 3, that’s for sure, more than Rosberg. Given the advantage Mercedes has, Rosberg should always be on the front row tbh.

I also wouldn’t place Button that far ahead of Magnussen; if anything, I would be tempted to place Magnussen closer to or perhaps even above Button, like they have done for Kvyat.

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

Massa I would put lower than Bottas for sure as well.

George
    Participant

Bear in mind they tend to knock off points if drivers don’t get far in the race, which probably accounts for Massa and Perez’s low scores. Magnussen has lost points through his avoidable contact too.

For Rosberg and Hamilton, Hamilton probably gets an extra point for outqualifying him, and at Bahrain for example I think he was a 10 and Rosberg 8 because he won despite a tactical disadvantage.

Kingshark
    Participant

@fastiesty

I can only think it is down to consistency.. Ricciardo has beaten Vettel in 5/6 races, being on his tail at Malaysia, after being passed in the race, while Alonso was not in the top level we know he can produce at Barcelona (and not helped by the car in Bahrain), being stuck behind Kimi all weekend. But Alonso is deserving of being in the top 3, that’s for sure, more than Rosberg.

Australia: Alonso out performs Raikkonen. Ricciardo has a great race but can’t be compared to Vettel. Tie.
    Malaysia: Ricciardo out performed by Vettel. Alonso out performs Raikkonen and challenges Ricciardo in an equal car. Alonso wins.
    Bahrain: Ricciardo wins by default, but Ferrari was very poor this weekend.
    China: Alonso beats Ricciardo in an equal or slightly slower car. Alonso wins.
    Spain: Ricciardo wins.
    Monaco: Too close to call, both out qualified their teammates but got jumped at the start. Both relied on luck to finish 3rd and 4th.

Overall I’d say Alonso has been marginally better, although it’s very close between the two, obviously.

GeeMac
    Participant

I initially thought the Williams drivers where a bit low but, considering the car they have under them, they are probably in about the right place.

Not sure I would have put Rosberg so far behind Hamilton, the battle between them is far tighter than that.

I also initially thought Perez was too low, but other than the Bahrain podium I think Hulkenberg has shown him the way, particularly in race trim. So he is about right too.

matt90
    Participant

Rosberg maybe lost out having failed to win a race which he really should have done. Even Aus was hollow in that his team mates retirement (having outperformed him in qualifying) meant there was no yardstick.

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

@kingshark I can agree with that… I’m a fan of Alonso in that I think he is right up there as a driver. Ricciardo is doing well and can prove in time how good he is. Is it fair to say that we might have the Ferrari drivers flattering the car once both are performing at peak performance?

So far Mercedes 1, Red Bull 2 and Ferrari 3 is roughly easy to place on overall car performance. 3 Merc customers, Lotus, Toro Rosso, Sauber, Marussia, Caterham behind them.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.