Formula E

Alguersuari to miss London ePrix on health grounds

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

I was surprised to see today Jaime Alguersuari won’t be racing in this weekend’s double-header Formula E round in London on health grounds. Here’s the statement he issued via Facebook:

On June 6th, after the Moscow ePrix I suffered a faint as a result of dehydration and extreme exhaustion during the race.

As a consecuence of this faint I had some medical tests done, with succesful results, and at the moment my license is temporarily suspended until the FIA makes sure that I’m fully able to carry on with my sporting career.

My health is safe and I’m in shape, and I’m absolutely convinced I can compete this weekend, but for security reasons we need to delve into medical research. For this reason, together with Virgin Racing, the FIA and the doctors we’ve decided not to take part in the London ePrix this weekend.

It’s a shame because it will be the last ePrix of the season and I wanted to race in front of our fans, but we must be respectful with the FIA’s procedures.

I want to wish all the luck to my team Virgin Racing in the last ePrix of the 2014/15 Formula E season.

While I don’t for one moment doubt what he’s saying, surely there must be more to it than this? Formula E races are shorter and much slower than grands prix, which Alguersuari raced in for two-and-a-half years. And it’s not as if the Moscow round was held in especially punishing conditions.

Whether he was ill before the race and the exertion made things worse, or he has some other health complaint, I hope he recovers soon.

Craig Woollard
    Participant

These tracks tend to be quite bumpy so that may have something to do with it. I’m also unsure of Alguersuari’s fitness having been out of any race car for three years prior to Beijing. However, I’m still slightly baffled by this too.

Strontium
    Participant

A real shame, especially as I was going to see the race this Sunday, and he is my favourite driver competing, but obviously if he isn’t in a suitable state to do so then he shouldn’t.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Autosport tells us Fabio Leimer, most recently in the news as Manor’s new reserve driver, will replace Alguersuari.

Good to see:

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

Good to hear.. Alguersuari is a good driver for the series and him being in the midfield after some years of not driving shows the talent level of the front runners off very well.

I remember when Montagny skipped a race due to health issues.

Sorry to see he’s now ruled himself out of next season as well on health grounds. Whatever the problem is, here’s hoping he gets well soon:

As you well know, last June I suffered a fainting episode after the Moscow ePrix. As a consequence of this faint, my license to race was temporarily suspended because the FIA commission wanted to delve into medical research.

During the month of July I underwent several tests for which there has not been a medical resolution and I am still waiting for the final diagnosis. For this reason I need to announce that, unfortunately, I will not be able to take part in the FIA Formula E Championship for the 2015/16 season with my team DS Virgin Racing.

I want to wish good luck to the team in the new championship and thank everyone for their support.

In September I will announce my future plans. Until then, happy summer to all!

Bradley Downton
    Participant

That’s a huge shame. I really feel Alguersuari could have done something special had it all clicked. I wish him all the best and hope it’s nothing serious that ends his racing career.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.