Formula Two

2018 Formula Two drivers and teams

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author

As surely as night follows day, the announcement of Russian Time’s continuation in the series is following by Artem Markelov’s confirmation as one of their drivers. That makes his fifth consecutive year at the team and having been runner-up last season he has to be a strong contender for the title this year.

His team mate will be Honda junior driver Tadasuke Makino.

Arden has announced Maximilian Gunther, who was third in F3 last year, has joined its team. Here’s how the line-up looks now:

Prema

Nyck de Vries
    Sean Gelael

ART

Jack Aitken
    George Russell

Carlin

Lando Norris
    Sergio Sette Camara

Charouz

Louis Deletraz
    Antonio Fuoco

Arden

Nirei Fukuzumi
    Maximilian Gunther

Campos

Luca Ghiotto
    TBC

Russian Time

Artem Markelov
    Tadasuko Makino

MP

TBC
    TBC

DAMS

TBC
    TBC

Trident

TBC
    TBC

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hopefully Albon gets a seat. He has been impressive imo.

Ralph Boschung is back for a second season, now with MP:

Following a promising debut FIA Formula 2 Championship year, Ralph Boschung is delighted to announce his return to the series with race-winning Dutch team MP Motorsport.

An impressive first season in the Formula 1 feeder category, saw the Swiss driver collect three points finishes, before joining up with MP Motorsport at the end-of-season test in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, going sixth fastest on day two.

His strong performances did not go unnoticed, and also earned him a Super Formula test, before the 20-year-old opted to remain in F2 for a second season.

Having joined the GP2 Series in 2013, MP Motorsport enjoyed a strong campaign last year, scoring a victory at Spa-Francorchamps, Belgium, and a second-place finish at Monza, Italy.

2018 will see the new generation of F2 cars, with the Mecachrome-built 3.4L V6 Turbo engine, halo device and several aero changes bringing them more in line with the latest Formula 1 machinery.

The 12-round calendar sees the FIA Formula 2 Championship kick off in Bahrain (7/8 April), with two additional venues, Le Castellet, France (23/24 June), and Sochi, Russia (29/30 September), joining the series.

“I am extremely excited to be back in the FIA Formula 2 Championship with MP Motorsport,” Boschung said. “The team showed great speed last year and I’m looking forward to continuing my single-seater career with them.

“It’s going to be very interesting with the new Dallara F2 2018 cars, which everyone will need to learn quickly during pre-season tests. It will be a challenge, especially when it comes to understanding the turbo engine, but we will work hard to get into a good position before the season-opener in Bahrain.

“This winter, I had a lot of important decisions to make about my future in racing. In the end it came down to whether I wanted to stay in Europe or go to Japan for the Super Formula. I’m confident in my choice and can’t wait to get going.

“I would like to extend my warmest thanks to my partners, leading Swiss meat business Malbuner, major coffee brand Lattesso, as well as Vintage & Classic Aircraft, CP Construction, Avanthay Real Estate and B63. I am especially thankful to MP Motorsport for giving me this fantastic opportunity and am also grateful to the ‘Club 50’ members for their continued support.”

Sander Dorsman, MP Motorsport’s team manager, added: “It’s great that Ralph will be part of our Formula 2 team for 2018. He showed good speed in his first season and our test at Yas Marina together went very well. We are convinced that we can build on that form to get more solid results and produce a consistent points-scoring run in the season ahead.”

Boschung will drive this year’s car for the first time during the opening pre-season test at Circuit Paul Ricard this week (6-8 March).

Testing continues in Bahrain tomorrow, here’s who will be driving:

Russian Time
    1. Artem Markelov
    2. Tadasuke Makino

Prema
    3. Sean Gelael
    4. Nyck De Vries

DAMS
    5. Alexander Albon
    6. Nicholas Latifi

ART
    7. Jack Aitken
    8. George Russell

MP
    9. Roberto Merhi
    10. Ralph Boschung

Arden
    11. Maximilian Günther
    12. Nirei Fukuzumi

Campos
    14. Luca Ghiotto
    15. Roy Nissany

Trident
    16. Arjun Maini
    17. Santino Ferrucci

Carlin
    18. Sergio Sette Camara
    19. Lando Norris

Charouz
    20. Louis Delétraz
    21. Antonio Fuoco

Campos has confirmed Luca Ghiotto’s team mate will be ex-Formula V8 3.5 driver Roy Nissany, son of one-time Minardi practice session driver Chanoch Nissany.

Trident has also confirmed its drivers will be Haas junior duo Santino Ferrucci and Arjun Maini.

And Ralph Boschung will race for MP. So with one week until the first race of the season, there are three seats up for grabs including both places at DAMS:

Prema

Nyck de Vries
    Sean Gelael

ART

Jack Aitken
    George Russell

Carlin

Lando Norris
    Sergio Sette Camara

Charouz

Louis Deletraz
    Antonio Fuoco

Arden

Nirei Fukuzumi
    Maximilian Gunther

Campos

Luca Ghiotto
    Roy Nissany

Russian Time

Artem Markelov
    Tadasuko Makino

MP

Ralph Boschung
    TBC

DAMS

TBC
    TBC

Trident

Santinto Ferrucci
    Arjun Maini

Anonymous
    Inactive

Is Rowland leaving F2?

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.