The “new multi-year agreement” will see Newey take on new projects within Red Bull Technology, “as well as advising and mentoring Infiniti Red Bull Racing as it develops its Formula One cars over the next few seasons”.
Widely considered to be the best designer working in Formula One today, Newey masterminded the cars which took Red Bull to four consecutive constructors’ championships from 2010 to 2013. During that time Sebastian Vettel claimed all four drivers’ titles in their cars.
Newey joined Red Bull in 2006, following championship-winning stints at McLaren (1998-2005) and Williams (1990-1997).
He was rumoured to have been approached by Ferrari following their disappointing start to the 2014 season.
2014 F1 season
- Fear of rules change led Mercedes to run dominant 2014 engine in “idle mode”
- Bianchi’s fight for life ends nine months after Japanese Grand Prix crash
- Mercedes’ Bahrain battle “too dangerous” – Warwick
- Streiff’s comments on Bianchi crash investigation prompts legal action from FIA
- Is stewarding improving? Analysing 2014’s penalties
Browse all 2014 F1 season articles
Image © Red Bull/Getty