Ten of the best pictures which tell the story of the 2018 Australian Grand Prix weekend.
Home hero Daniel Ricciardo went a fraction too fast in practice – he was handed a three-place grid penalty for speeding under a red flag.
It was a disappointing weekend for Force India as they failed to score points for the first time in 14 races.
Max Verstappen came close to splitting the Ferraris in qualifying but had to settle for fourth behind them.
Formula One’s new grid kids initiative – dubbed Future Stars – made its debut.
Lewis Hamilton kept his lead from pole position at the start but the Ferraris were a looming threat with the other Mercedes starting further back.
Verstappen dropped three positions with this costly slip-up.
There was heartbreak for Haas as both drivers retired following problems in the pit stops.
A well-timed pit stop for Vettel during a Virtual Safety Car period put him in the lead.
Maurizio Arrivabene and Sebastian Vettel
Ferrari team principal Maurizio Arrivabene congratulated Vettel on a surprise win.
For the second year in a row, victory slipped through Hamilton’s fingers in the season-opening race.
Share your Australian Grand Prix pictures and video
2018 Australian Grand Prix
- Problems in first two races not down to bad luck – Raikkonen
- ‘Poison banana’ wrecked Sainz’s race in Melbourne
- New Haas “one of the best cars I’ve driven”, says Grosjean
- Hulkenberg concerned Renault has fallen further behind top teams
- “There’s so many buttons, it’s crazy”: Leclerc on the leap from F2 to F1