“There was quite a lot of things going on after after Austria, a lot of meetings with a team checking how we can improve the whole thing,” Gasly explained.
“We made a lot of changes and I’m just pleased that from the first session we could see the big step forward. Strong Friday, strong Saturday, strong Sunday. I just enjoyed the whole weekend a lot more so we can be pleased with the step we made.”
“There are just so many things that made it possible,” he added. “It wasn’t like one big thing it was just many little things to sort out and finally to maximise.”
Gasly, who has scored just 55 of Red Bull’s 191 points so far this season, says there is still more to come.
“It’s still not perfect but I think we did a massive step forward in every area,” he said. “We still need to find that extra final step to make it to the podium but the whole weekend was strong.”
“I’m someone that is always optimistic,” he added. “I’ve been always confident [that] once we get everything sorted things will get better. I’m happy things came together this weekend. But I just think we need to keep pushing in that direction and I will get even more.”
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2019 F1 season
- McLaren Racing reports reduced £71 million loss in 2019
- Kvyat: Hockenheim podium last year was “my biggest achievement” so far
- How the FIA’s new encrypted fuel flow meter targets Ferrari’s suspected ‘aliasing’ trick
- “He smashed my office door”: 23 must-see moments from ‘Drive to Survive’ season two
- ‘I should have done a better job. There’s things that I know I can do better’