Nicholas Latifi says he definitely won’t race in Formula 2 again next year even if he fails to land a place on the Formula 1 grid.Yas Marina.
“For sure I was disappointed in Sochi when I officially lost the title,” said Latifi. “Now it’s just going and trying to maintain second place.
“Nyck and ART did an amazing job this year, they fully deserved it. So my focus is to maintain second.”
Latifi is already certain to finish high enough in the championship this year to qualify for an FIA Superlicence. “I already have, technically, the Superlicence,” he said.
“I don’t physically have it, but the goal was never to just get the Superlicence. The goal was to finish as high as possible.”
However he is sure he will be racing something other than F1. “For me, Formula 2, this was always going to be my last year.
“Coming into the season I knew it was gonna be my last year, good or bad. So I’m happy I had a good season. We just have to see for next year what will be the plan.”
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2020 F1 season
- Pictures: Wrecked chassis from Grosjean’s Bahrain fireball crash to go on display
- Bottas vs Rosberg: Hamilton’s Mercedes team mates compared after 78 races each
- F1 revenues fell by $877 million in Covid-struck 2020 season
- Hamilton and Mercedes finally announce new deal for 2021 season
- F1 audience figures “strong” in 2020 despite dip in television viewers