The Racing Point drivers admitted their disappointment in failing to reach Q3 today after setting the third and fourth quickest times in second practice.Sergio Perez dropped out in the first round of qualifying, but believes he could have made the cut if the track had stayed green.
“It’s a big disappointment,” said Perez. “We were on for a great weekend. We have great pace in the dry but in the wet we couldn’t find our rhythm.
“I struggled a lot to generate any tyre temperature. It took me two to three laps to generate the temperature. At the end I was coming on a good lap but then the red flag stopped that lap. There’s nothing we can do now other than think forward for tomorrow.”
Perez’s team mate Lance Stroll made it into Q2, but was unable to progress any further. “I don’t know what happened at the end,” he admitted.
“We kind of faded in Q2. I had a loss of grip at the end of Q2 and I just wasn’t able to progress the lap time.
“I think we started quite strong. We were comfortable in Q1 and then the beginning of Q2 we were looking competitive. But we just lost a lot of grip on the last set in Q2 and the others managed to improve. So I’m not sure, we have to look into why that was.”
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2020 F1 season
- Bottas vs Rosberg: Hamilton’s Mercedes team mates compared after 78 races each
- F1 revenues fell by $877 million in Covid-struck 2020 season
- Hamilton and Mercedes finally announce new deal for 2021 season
- F1 audience figures “strong” in 2020 despite dip in television viewers
- 2020 F1 driver rankings #1: Lewis Hamilton