Aston Martin driver Sebastian Vettel expects an announcement on his future plans in the near future.
“There’s no news on that front from my side,” Vettel told media including RaceFans at Monza today. “I am talking to the team, obviously, and I think we’ll have an answer very soon but at this point no news.”
Vettel scored a podium finish for the team in Azerbaijan and returned to the podium in Hungary, but subsequently lost the result due to a disqualification for a technical infringement. He indicated he has no concerns the team may not take up an option on his services.
“We are talking to each other,” said Vettel. “I really enjoy working with the team. The atmosphere is great and I do believe the future of this team is very bright. I’m not worried and I feel that we will have an answer soon.”
Team principal Otmar Szafnaur said at the end of July team would announce its plans for next season in due course”, adding Vettel is “definitely happy within the team.”
“He is enjoying his time in racing again so that’s what he wanted to do and I think we’ve accomplished that with him,” said Szafnauer. “So watch this space, but we’ll make that announcement in due course.”
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2021 Italian Grand Prix
- Who was to blame for Hamilton and Verstappen’s collision at Monza?
- Friday qualifying needs earlier start after “nearly dark” Monza session – Ricciardo
- Drivers suggest sprint qualifying format changes after processional second race
- Sainz pleased for McLaren despite “worst possible” result for Ferrari
- Red Bull were advised Perez should let Leclerc past – Masi