RaceFans site development

New feature: Ignore me!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

We like a good poll here on F1 Fanatic but some readers have previously suggested that if I include my take on a subject next to a poll it leads people to vote a certain way.

I’ve always had my doubts about that view – many of you seem to have opinions no less trenchant than mine! But it seemed to me only a small technical tweak would be necessary to allow people the choice of whether they read my take on a subject before voting on it.

So for forthcoming polls there is now a button which allows you to see the ‘I say’ text, which is hidden by default. Take a look at this recent poll here for an example:

WEC grid girl ban: Should F1 do the same?

VMaxMuffin
    Participant

@keithcollantine This is what I see:

The buttons don’t do anything.

EDIT: This is in Google Chrome. I just tried it in Internet Explorer and it was fine.

@vmaxmuffin Sometimes Chrome can be a bit slow to ‘see’ the new stylesheet code – if you refresh the page I suspect it will work. It looks fine in Chrome here.

matt90
    Participant

Perhaps a simpler way to do it would be to just change the order and have your say below the poll, or link to a more thorough opinion piece without presenting a summary on the same page as the poll. Seeing as people can just skip your paragraph if they really want to, I’m not sure hiding it adds much. It looks odd to me that a poll driven by yourself and appearing on your own blog would censor your own opinions. Also, curiosity means that I don’t think I’d ever resist any ‘reveal’ button, no matter what it was hiding!

VMaxMuffin
    Participant

@keithcollantine yes refreshing the page was the trick. I had “reloaded” it several times but when I actually hit refresh it fixed it.

Girts
    Participant

@KeithCollantine If only governments cared about their people as much as you do ;)

Anyway, this is a nice feature but I will never use it because I always love to read experts’ views before forming my own opinion!

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

Same, but it will assuage those who don’t want to read it before deciding their vote. I guess most of those would click it afterwards?

Neel Jani
    Participant

@KeithCollantine I see why you did it but it’s funny to what extent you’ve to go to stop some daft critics :D

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.