F1

Interesting

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Bernie wanted to make the F1 show more interesting to the viewers, instead of the “boring” dominance of M.Schumacher and Ferrari. So he amended the regulations to encourage more teams and freedom.

However I think this has spoilt the show. With the regulations as they are, all it is creating is disruption.

When the regulations allowed, for example Traction Control. The show was more interesting. It is now far worse than when Ferrari / Schumacher were the dominant force. The stability enabled the likes of Hakkinen / JPM to shine, though now nobody shines through – not even Schumacher. This is hurting the show, bernie.

Give the teams more freedom, to help improve the show.

Rucknar
    Participant

I would have to disagree pepsipefect.

All traction control did was take the focus away from the driver’s skill.

I’d say right now we have 5 very talented drivers in 3 teams that are putting on a great show, its nice to have a title fight.

Not sure you could say that about the Schu/ferrari days.

Ed

Anonymous
    Inactive

You misunderstood my use of phrase

“allowed, for example Traction Control”

Was just a reference to time period. That phase of the racing regulations brought us champions (Hill, Hakkinen, JeanPablo Montoya) AND the dominance of Schumacher.

The new era of regulations has only brought Alonso & Button since Schumacher last won the WDC. Not because of their strengths but because the competition simply “fell off the track” (analogy) and not due to driver skill.

jonnyw360f1
    Participant

“That phase of the racing regulations brought us champions (Hill, Hakkinen, JeanPablo Montoya) AND the dominance of Schumacher.”

I’m sorry? Have I missed JUAN Pablo Montoya becoming world champion?

“The new era of regulations has only brought Alonso & Button since Schumacher last won the WDC.”

I’m afraid I’ll have to correct you again, there – Schumacher last won a WDC in 2004. Alonso won in ’05 and ’06, followed by Kimi Raikkonen in 2007 and Lewis Hamilton in 2008. And then Jenson Button in 2009. Short memory, have we?

And going back to your original argument that in this day and age nobody shines…I think you will find there is FAR more competition. If you want evidence, look at how viewing figures have skyrocketed since 2005..

Rant, over.

Steph90

I’m not sure I agree that talent is coming through. We have Alonso, Hamilton, Kubica, Massa, Button, Vet, Webber at the top and some rookie potential. The RBR is mega quick but it isn’t destroying the field in the standings.

In Schumi’s day there was usually just a two way fight for the title.

I think things have been better. There’s more driver skill involved with the slick tyres and the banning of TC. The exit of the tyre war has seen more focus on car design and innovation to make them go quicker rather than just focussing on marginal tyres.

In short, I like it more now.

SoLiDG
    Participant

Wow I can’t disagree more with you.

Without aids it’s more down to driver skills, wich is wy Lewis won in 2008 with the second fastest car.

The strenght of the car will always be very important, that is F1.

But atm we have a very highly talented crop of drivers. Maybe the best of all time.

Alonso, Vettel, Hamilton, Button, Schumacher, Massa, Rosberg, Webber…

All capable of winning the championship.

No more tyre war or traction/launch control ever for me plz!

Macca
    Participant

Rosberg capable of winning a championship. Is this a joke, he has not even won a race yet.

Atanu
    Participant

@Macca, I would have thought that about Webber until last season… And I think Rosberg is more talented than Webber…

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

The racing was more interesting with traction control? Sorry, but how do you justify that? If anything, traction control takes driver skill out of the equation.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I did comment after, justifying that I meant the period of racing when traction control was used.

What has driver skill got to do with “the show” being interesting?

The point made was NOT about skill, though about viewer entertainment.

Comments on the statement / view, otherwise start a new thread

James_mc
    Participant

With no traction control, the likelihood that a driver makes a mistake (e.g. locks up, flat-spots a tyre, slides wide) will increase. For example witness Barichello’s move on Schumacher at the weekend. Schumacher said that he lost traction and slid coming out of the final turn. If there had been TC it is likely that he wouldn’t have slid and Barichello wouldn’t have been able to dive down the inside of Schumacher

TommyB
    Participant

Have you watched the 2010 season? 5 drivers seperated by 1 second place finish with a few races to go. Amazing races, great memories, fantastic moments.

I couldn’t disagree with you more.

James_mc
    Participant

The show was more interesting. It is now far worse than when Ferrari / Schumacher were the dominant force.

I fail to see how the dominant days of Ferrari/Schumacher were “interesting” or indeed good to watch in any way.

Saturday: Red cars qualify at the front

Sunday: Red cars scamper away and Schumi wins. Again. Yay.

Steph90

“It is now far worse than when Ferrari / Schumacher were the dominant force. “

Even I like it better now and I’m a Ferrari fan :P

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.