F1

Silly season: 2014 F1 driver market

Viewing 15 posts - 661 through 675 (of 851 total)
  • Author
    Iestyn Davies
    Participant

I think Maldonado signed an option and not a contract – i.e. something like if it comes to December then we will offer you first the drive at Lotus for 2014. So we will see if Quantum’s money transfers and the deal is signed before then, at which point they could feasibly still offer Hulkenberg the deal. If not, then Hulkenberg possibly has a similar option at Force India, and Kaltenborn said he can stay at Sauber if he wishes. With 3 teams to aim for, he shouldn’t commit just yet. The pieces will fall into place in the next week or so.

magon4
    Participant

Sutil just talked to Sky Germany confirming he has a seat for next year, signed for a few months, but due to the contract is not allowed to say where it is, for now. Could be Sauber; but when Tanja Bauer asked if the colors are similar, he said “most likely”.
    Seems he has a contract with FI – let’s see what it’s worth at the end.

andae23
    Participant

AMuS is reporting Hülkenberg has signed a one-year contract with Force India.

Nick
    Participant

What do my fellow F1Fanatics make of the rumors of Marcus Ericsson heading to Caterham? He’s been largely unimpressive in GP2, Rossi has had better outings and VDG had much better results in 2012. Honestly, it would not be a surprise, but it’d be a major let down, imo.

mhop
    Participant

Sad to see di Resta leaving the sport. Despite what the haters say his three years have been a huge success and he thoroughly deserved a fourth: in 2011, coming straight out of Touring Cars (!!), he immediately matched Sutil’s pace; in 2012 he was faster than Hulkenberg for 75% of the season; and this year he has pretty much thrashed Sutil (11-8 in qualifying should read 12-4 when you take in to account underfueling and strategic errors at UK, Malaysia, Monaco and Canada.

Sad to see another talented driver leave the sport. Maybe another reason to watch Indy Car next year instead?

Anonymous
    Inactive

“Huge success” is exaggerating a bit. He’s done fine. Nothing really extraordinary, and this season he has reached some embarrasing lows, like the series of DNF because of his own mistakes.

I’d rather have him in F1 than Maldonado or Chilton for example, but it’s not really that big of a loss.

mhop
    Participant

Yes, this year he made a few unfortunate errors, but this was very uncharacteristic: remember in his rookie year di Resta completed more laps than any other driver on the grid (and unlike Chilton, with a high performance level!).

I think his difficult spell can be explained by the fact that he obviously knew he was struggling for a 2014 contract, and he was trying to overdrive a poor car. To keep things in persepective his only costly mistake was Singapore – the worst thing about that was it completely overshadowed what was otherwise an outstanding drive from the back of the grid to 6th.

All the best for the future Paul!

Robert
    Participant

@andae23 of course it’s a one-year contract, knowing Hülkenberg. If he does make the step to a bigger team at the end of 2014, he would’ve switched teams 4 times in 4 years (full-time driver). I don’t really remember that happening before; if it did happen, it was probably a pay driver trying to swing his money for a drive from team to team..

andae23
    Participant

@npf1 Ericsson was impressive in F3, but his GP2 campaign has been very disappointing. His third season was good, so I guess everyone expected him to fight for the title in 2013, especially with a team like DAMS. But instead he has been invisible in most races.

So I would be very disappointed if Caterham decides to take Ericsson over Rossi or Pic. I would rather see them take on someone like Nasr, Vandoorne or Stevens, but sadly it’s their decision.

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

@mhop I agree, as the year has gone on, Sutil has rather gone off the pace. They’ve both had unlucky moments such as the Malaysia pit stop snafu from the team, but looking forwards to 2014 as well I feel Di Resta would be suited to the formula. Sutil is 30 now and may struggle to adapt, but that is speculative on his lack of early running (first sat in a kart at age 14), which is quite old school nowadays. So, to be up to pace in F1 inside 10 years of Motorsport experience is impressive on his part. But sponsorship backing and a Mercedes subsidy could swing it to him in favour of Di Resta. When the team position is locked in, backing matters and drivers are interchangeable. But 2014 could be very unpredictable.

@npf1 It’s more complex than that… Ericsson was very unlucky this year. For example, at the last race, his pole time was erased for exceeding track limits (when everyone was cutting the track; bad stewarding all year in GP2 really). His first half of the season had lots of pole positions and car breakdowns/unlucky collisions. Ericsson was definitely one of the best drivers in GP2 this year, and would probably have finished 3rd, with a little less bad luck. The DAMS car was fast, as even Richelmi did well, so that’s the only downside for me (whereas Rossi’s team mate struggled, same with Calado etc. indicating their car was a midfielder). The clear top 4 teams in GP2 this year were: Russian Time, Carlin, DAMS and Racing Engineering. But Ericsson is a talent, plucked out of obscurity by his backers (rich ex-racers), who found him when he broke the lap record at a rental go-kart facility, the first time he had been in a kart. So it would be interesting to see if the guy who utterly dominated 2007 Formula BMW UK can have a shot in F1.

Caterham do have Rossi (title challenge year in GP2 and a 2015 seat you have to feel is their plan), Stevens (similar in FR3.5? GP2 after that?) etc. so have good junior drivers to promote already, if they so wish. Pic I thought was definitely safe, from Renault backing, but VDG has started beating him and could score in wet-dry conditions. Kovalainen has probably had his last hurrah from F1 in a competitive car (at last) for these two races, unless Caterham will still choose him over a backed driver or two (perhaps for experience). He’s shown his pace and adaptability, but unless he delivers a good result, it may show he is lacking race fitness from pretty much a year out, something they would have to be happy will be rectified in 2014.

Nick
    Participant

The problem with Paul di Resta is still mainly his attitude. Now, don’t think I don’t want drivers in F1 who I don’t like (I would have given up on F1 after years of Jacques Villeneuve) but I think it influences his interaction with the team, media and ultimately influences his results as well. Not wanting to talk over the radio to your team or blaming them for shortcomings in the media will probably be a larger issue in 2014 than this year, since the cars will face lesser reliability and will need a lot of development. Mind you, I prefer him to stay over Sutil, who will never go anywhere in F1, but Paul is developing himself in the same direction. A new line-up for Force India might do them good and Paul could go on and win races in other series. He’s a good driver, but perhaps ultimately not F1 WDC material.

Force India could have a very fast duo in Perez and Hulkenberg, with Perez having dealt with a top team and Hulkenberg being familiar with the team. It’s been said Perez is hard to work with, but Di Resta isn’t exactly the ideal son in law either.

Sauber will probably follow Force India’s approach and wait until everything is finalized before they announce their drivers. Sirotkin looks like he’s staying in FR3.5 and might be a 3rd driver next year after all, which leaves Gutierrez a likely candidate to stay. The other seat is still up in air, though.

As for Caterham, I wouldn’t put it beyond them to replace both VDG and Pic either. I think they’ll also have last minute shock announcements. Still, Ericsson’s results are somewhat bleak compared to other GP2 drivers or FR3.5 drivers, so despite his past results, it’d make sense for him to try and prove himself in GP2 before making a move to F1. Having a bad/unlucky season in a feeder series probably isn’t the best foundation for your rookie year in F1 (which is why I’d prefer Sirotkin to do another year in FR3.5 as well) and being in a backmarker in a year with such rule changes probably would hard a rookie’s chance at having a good first year in F1 as well.

@andae23 You made a chart showing who’s going where? Just shown on Danish television..

andae23
    Participant

@mian You’re kidding! :D

Enigma
    Participant

@mian Really? Any screenshots or any idea where to see that?

Did not tape it, but will get you a screenshot in a couple of days, when it’s rescheduled :o)
    Did it say Enigma too as source? might have, not sure..have you made a such a chart?

Viewing 15 posts - 661 through 675 (of 851 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.