F1

Stormy Singapore

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Bradley Downton
    Participant

I’m not sure if anyone else has been following but Singapore have been having some shocking weather recently, what with rain, thunderstorms and even a haze from forest fires in Indonesia. But im wondering, in your opinions, could this affect the race?

Haze – Unless it gets so bad that no-one can see more than they can in the wet the race would continue, red this in a post somewhere by the FIA.

Rain – Never really had wet running in Singapore, so the threat of the lights reflecting is still a possible issue?

Thunderstorms – I’ve only once seen an F1 race affected by Thunderstorms, Malaysia 09. But it caused havoc for the TV crews and camera’s and after some research i read that lights around the circuit also went down after Lighting hit a power cable. Of course there are back-up generators in Singapore, but this is surely a real possibilty?

Of course, this is all going on weather forecasters (who are more pften than not wrong, in this country anyway) but what would your thoughts be on whether we’d race, what it would be like?

raymondu999
    Participant

Singapore rain and t-storms are pretty “localized” to be honest. It could be raining where you are and bone dry within 10 minutes walk of where you are. And by the time you reached that bone dry area, the rain would’ve stopped (it’s very short bursts – usually). Then usually the sun comes out pretty strong; and by the time you can walk back to where you were when it rained, it’s bone dry again.

Bradley Downton
    Participant

but the Singapore circuit drives very slowly in the cold temperatures, and because of the type of surface

sfemsfem
    Participant

Haze: We were in Malaysia for the ’05 GP and there were peat fires burning a long way off, but the haze drifted over the circuit and at one point you couldn’t see the across the track. The worst thing was that the acrid smoke did nothing for the ease of breathing for a NZer un-used to the humidity already. By race start time the haze had lifted a bit, but it made for a fairly unpleasant viewing experience for a while.

Zadak

They will race unless the conditions are undrivable

I think the lights are good enough to shine through the spray in the rain.

If I remember rightly the F1 official site has predicted heavy rain for all of the Singapore races so far, and we haven’t had one wet race there.

I’d love to see them splash around in the dark though, I think it would look awesome.

raymondu999
    Participant

The question is not about the lights shining through the spray. In such a case; every drop of spray will be reflecting the lights above you and so you get this nice; milky white opaque finish to the spray

ed24f1
    Participant

I guess they can have the race at 2am or something local time if there are persistent storms!

Some of the locals may not like that though!

Icthyes
    Participant

If that happens then I hope the guy from that video last year who apparently didn’t know there was an F1 race on isn’t there again or he won’t be happy!

raymondu999
    Participant

Racetime around 8PM rarely sees that much precipitation. However instead 2AM ish would see more precipitation

roberttty
    Participant

If they hold the Singapore GP at lunchtime, say 12noon, then we will have wet races 90% of the time.

Don’t worry guys, I live in Singapore and it seldom rain in the evenings. The rain usually comes in the afternoons. Therefore, the worst case scenario will be spray from the cars on a drying track.

The haze should not be a worry too. It is pretty mild now.

You can follow the local weather agency on Twitter at: @NEAsg

I will be tweeting the weather and F1 stuff from @roberttty_sg too.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

In some ways, that’s better than others. Rain might shake things up, but constant rain during a race slows everyone down. But when the rain stops, the track can start to dry out – and that’s when things get fun. Case in point, Montreal 2011.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.