F1

Worst corner in F1

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Because no corner exists in isolation. Every corner has some impact on the way the driver sets the car up. For example, if the chicane in Montreal has high kerbs, then the suspension needs to be set up to allow for that, and that is going to affect the way the car performs through every other corner on the circuit. The greatest circuits are – and always have been – more than simply the sum of their parts.

Anyway, my least favourite corner would have to be the penultimate turn in Melbourne. In fact, the whole final sector of Albert Park is pretty boring. It’s like the designer ran out of ideas after the fast chicane, and so connected everything up with the minimum effort. I’ve often wondered what the circuit might be like if the final two corners were cut out entirely. Maybe they could be replaced with an Assen-style chicane to force the cars into a bottleneck and get a slipstream going down the main straight.

Lucas Wilson
    Participant

Designer of Abu Dhabi F1 track revealed today: http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/kid-drawing-colors-28771380.jpg

KaIIe
    Participant

Can’t really isolate one corner, so here’s a bunch:
    – Shanghai: Turn 14 (the hairpin at the end of the back straight). Mostly because the exit kerb is just so strange, I can’t understand why it can’t be smoother like any other hairpin.
    – Catalunya: that chicane, mentioned 107 times already.
    – Silverstone: new Club. I dislike the current double-apex configuration.
    – Spa: Chicane. The good old bus stop was a pretty much universally hated corner, but at least it had some character (and those slowmo replays of cars bouncing over the kerbs). This one doesn’t.
    – Monza: the first chicane. It’s like two hairpins. Again, the old one was much more fun.
    – Yas Marina: too many to mention. The (almost) unnecessary chicanes at T5-6 and T11-13 stand out mostly.

Matthijs
    Participant

@kaiie: Silverstone New Club: you are so right! In the previous configuration there were two different lines (tight or wide), therefore preparing yourself for an overtaking manouver. Why change something that is right in the first place? Must have something to do with the current pitlane.

@full-throttle-f1: I thought the designer was this http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_8O_xwtE_ur4/TNFuqo8c9jI/AAAAAAAAABI/OU0cF5b16Hc/S350/Monkey+Pencil.jpg

Lucas Wilson
    Participant

@matthijs

loooool xD

dragoll
    Participant

Great thread, I would like to contribute the following:

Monaco – Lowes Hairpin. That thing is just not practical for modern day F1 cars, all drivers are at full lock and if anyone overtakes, which rarely happens, they can’t do it without using the throttle to accelerate out of it as they can’t steer around it.

Monza – Chicane at Turn 1 & 2

Imola – Back in early 90’s there was a section of stupid chicanes they called Acque Mineralli, this was before Sennas’ and Ratzenburgers’ passing, so it wasn’t even a response to these.

source: Wikipedia http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120904205842/f1/images/thumb/e/e1/Imola1980.jpg/200px-Imola1980.jpg

Lin1876
    Participant

@zantkiller That is an interesting point, and I think the answer is that they’re well established. Suzuka, for example, hasn’t always had the chicane at the end of the lap, but it has been there since before F1 arrived in the mid-80s and so we don’t really question it. There’s also the argument of it being necessary, given how little run-off there is after 130R.

(as you can see from this 1981 F3 race, the final corner was extremely fast, with an almost unbroken run from Spoon to Turn 1: http://youtu.be/ynhTmaxE1gE)

Also, at Suzuka and Montreal, the chicane is the best overtaking spot on the track. Suzuka especially would be a ready-made precession without the chicane there!

xjr15jaaag
    Participant

I don’t really think there are nay bad corners on the F1 calender; each one represents its unique challenge to the drivers.
    However, corners can generally be categorized into 5 types:
    Easy kinks
    Chicanes
    Hairpins
    medium speed corners
    High speed corners

I don’t really notice the kinks; they barely count as corners, what with the downforce on modern f1 cars.
    I marvel at the speed an f1 car can change direction in a chicane.
    It’s always exciting when an F1 car enters the braking zone of a hairpin with another F1 car right behind it, and I can never help marvelling at how late an f1 car can brake.
    It’s fascinating to see the speed taken through medium and high-speed corners, like Copse and the Suzuka Esses.

Mcquiz
    Participant

Pretty much every corner in New Delhi.

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

Great footage of the early Suzuka there. I can only imagine how that section was from Spoon, through 130R and onto the S/F straight. 130R, and now Eau Rouge, have been ‘neutered’ somewhat, with good reason at the time (lack of run-off or huge crash risk), but now that the cars are so strong I feel that we could have kept them as is and used extensive SAFER barriers and as much run-off as could be gotten. Eau Rouge even seemed safe in ’99 when both BAR’s were written off trying to take it flat!

I am confused by the Barcelona changes to increase overtaking… if they don’t help overtaking then lets have that epic last section back. It’s wishy-washy, but the last bit does add some variety to the track as well (which showed in Mercedes being strong there last year, but slower in the faster sections).

Thank god someone saw sense and abolished the Singapore Sling. For all it’s corner variety boost, and occasional overtake or driver error, I would rather see cars taking a fast corner there, with a SAFER barrier on the outside.

Matthijs
    Participant

I guess the runoff in Barcelona was too short for current standards, that must have contributed to the changes. Shame these changes are horrible…
    http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/barcelona_trackchanges_2007.jpg

Lin1876
    Participant

@fastiesty I wonder if the chicane being added in 1983 coincided with Honda taking over the track. I think it’s safe to assume it was added to attract international series to Suzuka which had previously gone to Fuji.

I also found this footage of an Japanese F2 race on the original track which gives a better view of the run from Spoon to the end of the lap (and also features a young Stefan Johansson) http://youtu.be/lo6KYopr6eY. In the wet, and with cars which were hardly slow, it must have been terrifying!

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

@matthijs That would make sense if it were not for the fact that the cars get stronger every few years – so it must have been too short at the time the track was first used – 1991-1994 (given what happened at Imola). Unfortunately, I think our perception of danger is rising faster than the actual danger – hence the tracks getting safer while the cars are getting safer than that proportionately. Really it could have been the other way around – have them go through the chicane, say 2007 let them run the full whack (Kubica’s crash, car held up well).

@fastiesty

I am confused by the Barcelona changes to increase overtaking

They weren’t to increase overtaking, it was on safety grounds because of the limited run-off around the fast corners.

Little_M_Lo
    Participant

@keithcollantine whats your least favourite corner in F1?
    mine btw is the 2nd chicane at monza, never liked it

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.