F1

Young drivers at the front

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Ben Needham
    Participant

Given the recent discussion about the domination of the top three teams, I bore thought to the fact that 50% of those cars are now raced by drivers under the age of 23. Of course, it’s exciting to see young drivers being given a chance, but is this potentially a bad thing for drivers on the cusp and looking for better things?

Assuming the top teams are happy with their drivers (a question mark over Pierre Gasly at present of course), the teams continue to perform as they are and Esteban Ocon and George Russell replace the current Mercedes drivers; we’re left with only one spot at the top teams becoming available in the next 15 years.

Clearly anything can happen in Formula One (“and usually does” – Murray Walker), something say Daniel Ricciardo, Nico Hulkenberg and Carlos Sainz are banking on, but I look down the grid and feel pessimistic for the opportunities of other drivers if their current teams don’t improve.

Is there now pressure on teams to promote young drivers too quickly? I love watching Leclerc and Verstappen out at the front, but they do lack the pedigree of Hamilton or Vettel with their long history of success. The current line-up is the perfect blend of “master vs apprentice”, but I worry that could be lost quickly in the coming years.

I’m sure it’ll work itself out and in reality, drivers and teams do fall out, split and open opportunities. That said, I’m curious to discover other RaceFans thoughts…

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.