Going to the Malaysian Grand Prix at Sepang

Going to the 2013 Malaysian Grand Prix at Sepang International Circuit

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    Kryten
    Participant

@Alexgreen – If you can physically get into a taxi quicker than you can get onto a KLIA transfer bus, then surely its quicker to get the taxi to KLIA, and then take the express train which is only 28mins to KL? I thought (at least part of) the issue is the traffic jams around the track, and indeed all the way into KL, so getting a taxi all the way has surely got to take much longer than a taxi to KLIA plus a 28min train?

Alex green
    Participant

@kryten if you read my post,i said get a taxi from your hotel and he will wait all day at sepang for you so you wont be queuing to get a taxi back into kl,this way you will miss the traffic,ive been sitting at the bar with a cold one an hour after the race has finished,also the klia train is taking longer just now they are doing some work on the track(dont know if its finished in time for the gp)

@chen lim up to you but youll get a better deal when your in kl

Kryten
    Participant

@Alex Ah, ok. I havent been so didnt know what the traffic was like, i’d just heard people saying that its a very congested city in general, so had assumed that there was heavy traffic irrespective of race or not. But I guess its a sunday evening, hence shouldnt be as bad as say a weekday commute.

Journeyer
    Participant

@kryten22uk The internal shuttle bus is for those NOT seated on the main and T1 grandstands. If you’re seated there, it’s a 5-minute walk to the KLIA bus. The taxi option is okay too, but it won’t come cheap. If you’re on a budget, the KL train option is still best.

Alex green
    Participant

Guns n Roses anounced as the after race concert just a pity im heading straight o the airport,for those with granstand tickets ,im sure p club will get in though

Anonymous
    Inactive

@alex & @chen- guys, you arent missing much to be honest!
    My 2 favorite bands in the world are GNR and the Red Hot Chili Peppers! What have been touring the globe in the past 15 years under the guise of GNR is an overweight Axl Rose and a cover band- and a bad one. Axl still hits the spot, but can struggle (he actually needs to be put on oxygen back stage to get his notes- but not uncommon in older singers) the “band” cant cover Slash at all and are a disgrace really. They play their new stuff fine, and while Axl still smashes Sweet Child and such, the others really let him down.

GNR are also playing in Melbourne on Saturday night next weekend (and Sunday I think). I love GNR but and not going to see Axl N Cover band. I have spent too much on the F1 PC to see 3 guys butcher Slash’s classic riffs, stay out too late with too many beers to spoil the race day (gee I sound old LOL!!)

If you are a “new school” GNR fan go, if old school dont see what he has made the GNR name in to :(

Garns

Journeyer
    Participant

For anyone needing any other info on Sepang (including transportation), it’s all here: http://sepangcircuit.com.my/pdf/F12013-brochure.pdf

Kryten
    Participant

Just booked flights and hotel, now time to decide on grandstand. Was going to go for K1 as that is the majority of preferences mentioned on here so far, but thats sold out. So my options are Garnet or Emerald/Sapphire.

As I see it, the pros of the two areas are:

Garnet pros: Get to see the grid line up, and presumably any people-display before hand.

Emerald pros: Get to see the race to the first corner unfold. Get to see into pits at point where RB/Ferrari/McL would be. Get to see overtaking as its about three quarters down the DRS straight. Closer to the exit for quick getaway after race.

Which would you choose out of the two?

Karl
    Participant

Hi everyone, I’m new here and just got my flight and tickets (K1) for the race. Still working on which hotel, are there any benefits to certain hotels as far as having more F1 fans to make it easier to share taxi rides and also where to party or find F1 parties in or near KL? This is my first F1 race since Long Beach in the 80’s as a kid and I’m looking to maximise my overall experience. One other thing for anyone tht has been to Sepang before, is there a general admission area that we can get access to other parts of the track with a grandstand ticket or am I limited to only the K1 corner area? I really want to walk around and get some photos of some of the other turns. Cheers

Alex green
    Participant

@kryten emerald is good
    @karl bintan is were most of the bars are,try the pacific regency or the shangra la,as for walking around it will be roasting but beside k1 theres ga which you can access
    And im in k1 but will only be attending on the sunday due to work commitments

Karl
    Participant

Awesome, thanks for that info. I’ll be there all 3 days, arriving Friday morning. After reading a bit more I’m seeing that Friday is open seating, so I should be able to take a sweaty walk around to get some different shots then. Looks like in the 90’s (f) and humid but hopefully no full blown rain storms although it looks pretty stormy this week. Shangrila is nice, I’ve stayed at other ones in Asia. When I make my reservations ill post where to see if anyone might be interested in sharing a cab back and forth.

Karl
    Participant

Anyone tried the hotel maya? Looks to be in the same area, 5 stars but a couple hundred less after 3 nights.

Alex green
    Participant

@karl,seen it but never been in looks decent enough

Kryten
    Participant

I’m thinking of buying a cheap FM radio to take so I can listen to commentary at the track, given theres practically no audible commentary nor visible screens. I hear a few reports that there is FM commentary to tune to; anyone know if this is right?

Alex green
    Participant

I received a freebie small radio a couple of years ago from them on track as they messed up posting my tickets up and it linked to the bbc commentary,its a tremendous little radio that i carry to all the races i attend nowadays,so yes theres radio commentary

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 67 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.