Jenson Button’s Monaco Grand Prix cameo has suffered a blow after McLaren were hit with 15-places worth of power unit component grid penalties.
The stewards confirmed that Button would receive a ten place penalty for the car using a fifth turbo charger in the season, with a second five place penalty for a fifth MGU-H.
The penalties will be especially frustrating for McLaren, who showed reasonable pace in final practice with Stoffel Vandoorne recording the tenth fastest time, just over a tenth ahead of Button in P12.
Vandoorne is also guaranteed a grid penalty of his own, following his race-ending collision with Felipe Massa’s Williams in Spain.
2017 Monaco Grand Prix
- What do drivers ask in their pre-race briefing? New video reveals all
- Arrivabene “laughing” at claims Vettel is team’s number one
- Sainz takes first Driver of the Weekend win
- 2017 Monaco Grand Prix team radio transcript
- Boring or unique? Monaco GP rating hits ten-year low