F1

The FOM race edit thread

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Browny
    Participant

the first half of the 2010 season race edits were certainly the best music choices I think, they worked so weel. Have gone down hill so badly since 2011 :/

matt90
    Participant

“why not put some nice DnB or dance music on instead?”
    Because such a thing doesn’t exist? :p

Music choice: 9/10 Love Rise Against, think the genre suits racing
    Editing: 8/10
    Choice of footage: 7/10 Could have had more from the chaos at the end
    Favourite moment: Kimi trying to hang on around the outside of Webber
    Overall: 8/10

Journeyer
    Participant

This year has actually been pretty good so far. Could do better in terms of variety, but this is much better than what we had last year.

For me, they were at their best not just in the first half of 2010, but also in the second half of 2008 (The Automatic, Kasabian, The Cult, Pendulum, AC/DC, Kaiser Chiefs, Pigeon Detectives, Muse) – that was quite a run!

damonsmedley
    Participant

Completely agree. There were some nice ones in 2009, too. In fact, 2009 probably had the best edits!

Journeyer
    Participant

2009 was a mixed bag for me. They started well, but when they used Girls Aloud, it was downhill from there.

damonsmedley
    Participant

Right, quick fire round.

———————————————————

Round 4: Bahrain
    Song: The Blackout: The Storm

Song choice:
    Editing:
    Choice of footage:
    Favourite moment:
    Overall rating:

———————————————————

Round 5: Spain
    Song: Black Stone Cherry: Staring at the Mirror

Song choice:
    Editing:
    Choice of footage:
    Favourite moment:
    Overall rating:

———————————————————

Round 6: Monaco
    Song: Chase & Status: Blind Faith

Song choice:
    Editing:
    Choice of footage:
    Favourite moment:
    Overall rating:

———————————————————

Round 7: Canada
    Song: Fall Out Boy: Alpha Dog

Song choice:
    Editing:
    Choice of footage:
    Favourite moment:
    Overall rating:

———————————————————

Round 8: Europe
    Song: Hard-Fi: Fire in the House

Song choice:
    Editing:
    Choice of footage:
    Favourite moment:
    Overall rating:

———————————————————

Brief thoughts: Bahrain is quite nice even if the song does nothing for me, though it’s definitely not a classic.

Spain is very unmemorable and the song is probably most of the reason for this. I don’t mean to be too critical, but that’s easily my least favourite edit so far.

Monaco is actually brilliant. The song doesn’t really lend itself to fast-paced action, so they’ve taken a different approach and timed it in perfectly with the song (which has grown on me!) which has in effect created a much “slower” edit, which contrasts beautifully with the vast majority. I especially love Kimi’s radio transmission and the inclusion of Jenson Button’s crash at turn 1, which I’m surprised didn’t result in a penalty for Heikki judging by some of the others we’ve seen this year. Also interesting to see the use of the fish-eye lens at several points in the video.

Canada has awful music (in my opinion!) so it makes it difficult to enjoy, but it’s not bad. Really loved the shots through the trees, which look to be taken with DSLRs on video mode if I’m not mistaken.

Valencia’s edit is very nice because it has perhaps the most interesting team radio of the year, even if the song isn’t best suited to the action. And this is no criticism, but when races feature as much action as this, it can make the resulting edit a bit hard to follow, which is probably the case with this one. The shots of Jenson and Fernando in the pits also appear to have been taken with a DSLR, but I’d need someone more in the know to confirm that! Either way, they look nice and I’m interested to see how they’re implemented in future edits.

Can’t wait to see what everyone else thinks!

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.