F1

Turbo sound solution

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Ben Ringers
    Participant

Hi everyone. I was just thinking about the new sound that the 2014 cars make, and perhaps a possible solution. If the Turbochargers were replaced by Superchargers, then the free flowing exhaust would make a louder sound. No you’re probably all thinking the same thing. Supercharges use engine horsepower. Well if you use the ERS to power the Supercharger than the engine isn’t loosing any power running it. This also eliminates Turbo lag, something ERS was also supposed to achieve. And finally it still helps with Hybrid technology, just the electric power is applied in a different way. Let me know if this is the case and this idea still reaches the FIA’s goal of Hybrid technology and innovation?

VMaxMuffin
    Participant

It’s an interesting idea. I know Mercedes, for example, believes in supercharging things (they do it to pretty much all of their cars, whilst competitors use turbos). I like the idea of using the ERS to power the supercharger too, although without the new part of the ERS (ERS-H, which uses energy from the turbo) I don’t know whether or not the ERS would be able to power the supercharger.

What I would like to see is the option – allowing teams the choice between turbocharging or supercharging. That would be cool.

On the noise issue, I’m starting to like the new noise. It’s different, but I quite like it. I still prefer the sounds of the V10/V12 engines, but this has so many other advantages such as the other noises you can hear on TV. Then again, I am yet to go to a race (possibly Melbourne next year) so I’ll see how I feel after that…

Djangles LeVaughn
    Participant

Superchargers are generally inferior to turbochargers so I don’t see the engine manufacturers ever jumping ship to mechanically driven pressure charging anytime soon.

matt90
    Participant

I don’t think that completely changing the fundamental design of the newly introduced engines is a possible solution, even if it might work theoretically.

Nick
    Participant

I think the best way to silence this debate is in Pirelli’s hands. And will probably come from them in 2015.

Egorov
    Participant

The noise is just fine

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.