Going to the Singapore Grand Prix at Marina Bay

Where to sit and where to watch at Singapore?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    raymondu999
    Participant

I still recommend Turn 2 Grandstand, A2 section. That’s where I sat in 2011 – clean view of the start head-on, and you get to see turn 1. You also get to see the cars move around a fair bit for the Turn 1-2-3 complex, so all’s good.

Thecollaroyboys
    Participant

@raymondu999
    Agreed, the view down the straight from A2 is good but over in A6 you get to look over to your right and see them all the way around T3 but you do miss the long stretch down the straight – decisions, decisions. Turn 2 stand is the primo spot though, probably the best viewing in the whole zone. Certainly better than $3000 for the T3 stand. Will you be there next week?

Mankster
    Participant

I did T2 A2 in 2010 and Stamford in 2011. The only problem with T2 A2 is that you are quite a way back from the track due to the big run off area in front of the stand. In 2014 I might go for T1 A4 or 5.
    Does anyone remember which block in T1 is under the flyover ( shelter from rain)? If not may be one of you guys going this year can check. I did make a not of it but have completely forgot now.

Thecollaroyboys
    Participant

@mankster
    The closest you can get to the track is sitting in the front sections of the pit grandstand. You’re no more than 10m away from the cars. Through the race it’s pretty hopeless though because the cars pass you on the right hand side right next to the fence so you can’t see them.
    Do a search on YouTube for Singapore F1 GP fireworks. At 0;29 seconds you can see the flyover and the seats. That said, this is my third year running and no sign of rain yet (I just guaranteed rain by saying that, didn’t I )

Christopher
    Participant

Anybody has experience at the Stamford Grandstand? Just got my tickets and I’m on the first row of A2.

Melvin
    Participant

Hi guys. I’m selling one extra 3-day Zone 4 walkabout ticket. I’ll be selling it for SGD190 which is already a discount compared to the price I originally bought it. We can meet up near orchard road for the ticket. :)
    PM me if you’re interested. Thank you!

czhihong
    Participant

@Christopher
    I was at Stamford in 2011 (met up with Mankster for a bit), will be there again this year. If I’m not at Stamford, I’m usually at the Bay Grandstand. The main difference is that getting in and out of the Bay Grandstand can be a huge headache on raceday due to the huge crowd (it seats ~25,000 and it’s always sold out), Stamford (and the rest of the other grandstands in zone 4) offers a little exclusivity plus extremely convenient entrance and exit from the track from Gate 3.

I can’t remember which section I’m in (tickets are not with me at the moment), but I find it decent value.The corners see quite a bit of action generally, which more than half of the passes coming at Turn 7 in any given race. Will probably see a bit of squabbling towards Turn 8 too.

By the way, this September has been unseasonably rainy. On the morning of 5 September, we had more than 100mm of rain fall in about an hour in some parts of the country, completely flooding one of our main expressways for some time. I won’t hold my breath just yet for a wet qualifying and raceday (if that’s what you want), but there have been a number of days in the past few weeks where we had rain throughout the day and well into the night. Purely based on my perception, we probably still get the least rain during the race timings from around 7-11pm, but it is definitely the most unpredictable weather we’ve had in a while.

Mankster
    Participant

Hey how are doing! I remember, I still owe you a beer. I hope to be back for 2014, next round is on me.

Christopher, yes Stamford is pretty good. The screen position is not not ideal if you are in A2 as you need to look to the right to catch the screen and to the left to catch the cars. Cars come to the right of the track after T7 so you will get pretty close and covered in rubber marbles by the end of the race in row 1. As czhihong mentioned T7 is at the end of the DRS zone ( there will be a second DRS zone along the main straight this year) so there is always action at that corner.

czhihong
    Participant

Something else for General Admissions (Walkabout) ticket holders to think about:

I agree with @Mankster that the areas around T11, T12 are probably the best for getting close to the cars, together with perhaps the stretch between T15 and T16, but the biggest problem with both these spots are the lack of a viewing screen.

Personally, I would be lost without the screen, especially during the race, since I would have no idea what was going on. There is trackside commentary, but half the time it’s impossible to hear it since the cars are too loud! One way to get around this would be to get the Fan Vision set, which I did get last year for $100 (I think. Could be $150) for the weekend.

If not, the main viewing platforms with screens are the two along esplande drive (stretch between T13 and T14), the one at T16 or between T7 and T8. They will all be VERY popular on race day naturally, so do go early, especially for the ones at T16 and T7/T8 since they’re pretty small.

This all only applies to the general admission walkabout, since there are a lot more options for premier walkabout, but I haven’t bought that before so can’t comment on views for that. From the map, there seem to be quite a few options for screens though.

Looking forward to maybe meeting up again next year @Mankster!

Mankster
    Participant

Fanvision didn’t get the contract for F1 this year so no handhelds. the Soft Pauer app is available for OS and android for live timing and graphical representation of where all the cars are onthe track.

Christopher
    Participant

@czhihong @Mankster

Thanks for the feedback guys. First time in Stamford Grandstand so was wondering how good a view was considering the circuit is relatively flat and has no real vantage points.

Looking forward to the race this weekend!

Ra-Sewn
    Participant

Does anybody have any experience with the Esplanade Waterfront Grandstand??? If so, how was the viewing experience? I’m thinking about jumping on the early bird special for 2014, particularly in a high row of section A3. I’m attempting to obtain a good vantage point of turns 16, 17 and possibility 18 if I can get seats in the that upper corner of the grandstand that looks down the barrel of the straight.

Between the aforementioned objective, being on the Marina and its ambiance (photography opportunities), and having a screen in the vicinity (I know I’m going to have to break my neck towards the left), it seems as if it’s a better option than the Bay Grandstand with a little more to offer outside of not having Zone 3 access.

Finally, once the race is finished, will I be able to walk the entire track being that I only have access to a Zone 4 ticket? Or are only Zone 1 and Premier Walkabout ticket holders allowed this privilege? I understand not being able to infiltrate zones during or before the practice session, qualifying and the race, but after these conclude would seem a bit unfair.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Thecollaroyboys
    Participant

Esplanade looks like a far better bet then Bay. Get a seat further up the stand so you don’t have the catch fence in your way.

The track opens up in Zone 1 primarily to get the Zone 1 people down to Padang and whatever concert might be on. You walk down the track from the final turn back down to bay. You can’t walk from turn one in race direction. You can probably walk against the tide back to zone 1 withou too much drama, be quick though as they tear down the track and block off areas pretty damn quick.

Ra-Sewn
    Participant

@Thecollaroyboys Thanks for the heads up. I primarily just want to get the start/finish line, pits, etc for photo ops. I’m just hoping I can get an upper corner in the right side of A3 of the Esplanade so that I can see down the straight.

Been looking for Video to see exactly what that vantage point would look like, but so far no luck.

Mankster
    Participant

Sorry if this late, I just spotted it. Esplande is a great grandstand and together with the Stamford, its the best of the Zone 4 grandstands. As you have figured out, A3 gives the best views. The right hand edge of A3 is actually inline with the front of the Bay Grandstand rather than looking directly down the straight infront of the Bay Grandstand. Still as this stand is more steeply raked and higher off the ground than the lower rows of Bay, you can actually see over the lower part of Bay from the right hand side of A3.
    Don’t be tempted to go too high to avoid the fencing as this takes you much further ways from the cars right infront of the stand ( and the fence is still in the way). Together with the Stamford, this is pretty much where the cars are at the slowest right in front of a stand, so can get good close up view. the tensing only really interferes with photography, does really spoil the enjoyment of the race in this part of the circuit.
    The breeze and views from being by the bay are another bonus.
    The Bay Grandstand is pretty awful in a number of respect, best avoided it you can afford somewhere else.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.