F1

Point for fastest lap – race-by-race verdict

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Is the new point for fastest lap making a difference? Did you like how it affected the Australian Grand Prix?

Give your first thoughts on the new rule below and we’ll see how it evolves over the rest of the season.

Scottie
    Participant

I enjoyed the increased tension at the end of the race. Sure, the gaps between cars weren’t all that close, but hearing the radio transmissions, and knowing some drivers were pushing their cars as hard as they dared added to the interest at the end.

glynh
    Participant

Wasn’t a fan of the idea but I enjoyed it in Australia, it added some tension to the end of the race when overtaking looked unlikely.

Ben Needham
    Participant

It wasn’t so much a factor in Bahrain due to the Safety Car at the end, but even before then it seemed drivers weren’t pushing too hard for it. I’m sure it’ll be a lot like this over the year; one race it’s a real factor, the next it’s very much a side attraction.

Canderous
    Participant

It’s just a gimmick. If a driver has enough of a gap to make a free stop. Otherwise it’s redundant.

Phylyp
    Participant

It was only when @matthijs commented that Max scored 26 points today that it reminded me that we’re handing out a point for the FLAP.

So in an eventful race like yesterday’s German GP, it can easily go unnoticed. Then again, I’d say that’s not due to the quality of racing, “eventful” was the keyword – so many things happened during even the concluding laps of the race that keeping track of the fastest lap fell by the wayside. In contrast, we could still have a good race that includes tension around the FLAP point – and I say that as someone who’s not overly enamoured of the idea of a point for FLAP.

Matthijs
    Participant

@phylyp Prior to this season I was afraid that the point for fastest lap would lead to all sorts of crazy strategies. it turned out that in some races it added to the exitement but in most races it added little to the race. So my fears seem to be unjustified, now I am rather indifferent about this point. But it could prove valuable in the points table in the end.

Phylyp
    Participant

@matthijs – I think “indifferent” sums up my feelings as well. On a level, I know these 21 points can make a difference in the title, but in most races it feels like a bolted-on addition when the top 6 cars attempt a brief shootout.

Matthijs
    Participant

I must admit, the point for fastest lap added something to the already action-packed German GP. Vettel was determined to get that extra point on the last lap but ran wide on the still slippery track and nearly lost his second place as a result.

KaIIe
    Participant

Did the point for fastest lap add anything to the Italian GP? No. Hamilton was able to pit near the end of the race and there was zero excitement if he could snatch the extra point with the fresh soft tyres. Before that, the fastest lap was going to Bottas, and while it would’ve been deserved, it really did not add anything to the race, just a case of Bottas pitting later than the first two cars.

Ben Needham
    Participant

@kaiie – I generally agree, but I think it’s significant that Vettel’s spin also gifted Mercedes another point. If Vettel was fourth still, Hamilton would have been unable to pit. Vettel probably could have done instead and taken fourth and the bonus point.

Djangles LeVaughn
    Participant

Hasn’t done it for me. Besides a gimmick I also think it’s a luxury only the fast teams can enjoy.

DeeAnn Hopings
    Participant

The concept doesn’t interest me at all. I’m waiting for someone the either crash while making an attempt or lose a position or 2 and that cancels out the possible one point.

I would have much rather seen a point given for Most Laps Led…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.