Red Bull currently has Carlos Sainz Jnr on loan to Renault. Ricciardo’s move could present Sainz the opportunity to join Red Bull. However Sainz is understood to be considering an option to join McLaren.
Red Bull renewed the contract of Ricciardo’s team mate Max Verstappen last year, despite the 20-year-old having more time to run on his existing contract than Ricciardo did at the time.
Ricciardo postponed signing a new contract with Red Bull while the team considered a change of power unit supplier for next year. It eventually decided to break off its relationship with Renault and agreed a new deal in June to use Honda power.
Ricciardo arrived in Formula 1 through Red Bull’s junior driver programme in 2011. He joined their senior F1 team following stints at HRT and Toro Rosso. His seven F1 victories, the most recent of which came in this year’s Monaco Grand Prix, were all scored with Renault power.
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
Don't miss anything new from RaceFans
Follow RaceFans on social media:
View the current list of 2019 F1 drivers and teams
Go ad-free for just £1 per month
2018 F1 season
- McLaren staff told us we were “totally crazy” to take Honda engines in 2018 – Tost
- ‘It doesn’t matter if we start last’: How Red Bull’s junior team aided Honda’s leap forward
- Honda’s jet division helped F1 engineers solve power unit problem
- McLaren Racing losses rise after Honda split
- Ricciardo: Baku “s***show” was Red Bull’s fault