FIA race director Michael Masi has said the sport’s governing body will never cease its pursuit of higher safety standards following the crash which killed Formula 2 driver Anthoine Hubert last weekend.
The Dallara F2 2018 chassis used in the championship is built to F1 safety standards. It features the Halo, the FIA’s most recent major safety innovation, which was introduced to F1 and F2 last year to improve driver head protection.
An investigation into Saturday’s crash has already begun. Masi said research into how to better protect drivers in crashes will never stop. “Safety is ever evolving,” he said.
“Once different technologies become available, different materials become available, safety is an ever evolving process. For me it is something that will never end.
“I’ve said it before and I’ll repeat it: Safety is one of the core pillars of the FIA, part of why they exist. That was something that just won’t stop. We’ll continue to research and look at things and improve things as best we can.”
Following the news of Hubert’s Lewis Hamilton said the danger of motor racing was not fully appreciated by some fans and people in the sport. He praised the efforts the FIA has made to raise safety standards including under Masi’s predecessor Charlie Whiting.
“There’s a huge amount of work that the FIA have done up to this point,” said Hamilton. “I think they’ve been working incredibly hard and we’ve seen big steps already. Obviously, particularly when Charlie was here he made massive steps forward so we will continue in that direction.”
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2019 F1 season
- McLaren Racing reports reduced £71 million loss in 2019
- Kvyat: Hockenheim podium last year was “my biggest achievement” so far
- How the FIA’s new encrypted fuel flow meter targets Ferrari’s suspected ‘aliasing’ trick
- “He smashed my office door”: 23 must-see moments from ‘Drive to Survive’ season two
- ‘I should have done a better job. There’s things that I know I can do better’