Alex Zanardi has been moved into intensive care after undergoing three-hour surgery on the head and face injuries he suffered in a crash during a handbike earlier today.
Zanardi is understood to have been involved in a collision with a truck during the Obiettivo Tricolore handbike event. He was airlifted to the hospital.
“Regarding the clinical conditions of Alex Zanardi, hospitalised in very serious conditions at the Santa Maria alle Scotte polyclinic due to a road accident in the province of Siena, the Health Directorate of the AOU [Azienda Ospedaliera Universitaria] Senese informs that the neurosurgical and maxillofacial intervention to which the athlete was subjected, due to the severe head injury, started shortly after 19:00 and ended shortly before 22:00,” said the hospital in a statement.
“The patient was then transferred to intensive care, with a reserved prognosis. His health conditions are very serious.”
Don't miss anything new from RaceFans
Follow RaceFans on social media:
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2020 F1 season
- Bottas vs Rosberg: Hamilton’s Mercedes team mates compared after 78 races each
- F1 revenues fell by $877 million in Covid-struck 2020 season
- Hamilton and Mercedes finally announce new deal for 2021 season
- F1 audience figures “strong” in 2020 despite dip in television viewers
- 2020 F1 driver rankings #1: Lewis Hamilton