World Endurance Championship

2013 Le Mans 24 Hours

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 57 total)
  • Author

A look at Caterham’s car:

matt90
    Participant

This year’s garage 56 entry has withdrawn (apparently this actually happened a week ago).

Calum
    Participant

Wonder if a modified F1 car could do Garage 56 one year.

matt90
    Participant

They try to let in entries with some sort of relevance. And the modifications to an F1 car would have to be immense. Plus, unless it was heavily restricted it would run rings around the other cars, which would make the event look a bit stupid.

MazdaChris
    Participant

I don’t see how it would make the event look stupid. Maybe it would make people who believe that a P1 car is meant to be as quick as an F1 car look stupid. But then surely if you believed that then you probably ARE stupid.

Anyway, an F1 car would hardly demolish a P1 car around Le Mans. Faster, most likely, but a P1 car has a lot more torque than an F1 car and La Sarthe is all about power and speed down the straights. Corner speed helps of course, but top speed is king. In order to bring an F1 car in line you’d also pretty much be throwing away a chunk of downforce which would negate the corner speed advantage.

But it’s hard to see what the practical purpose would be for modifying an F1 car for a Garage 56 entry. After all, Garage 56 is meant to showcase new ideas and technology, and in that respect a P1 is already leagues ahead of F1.

Victor_RO
    Participant

Going to Le Mans for the first time this year. Only from Thursday to the end of the race, but still I’m really excited. :)

matt90
    Participant

It would make the event look stupid because if it lasted until the end it would ‘win’ but would be unofficial, which would somewhat demean the real winners.

Ludwig
    Participant

I don’t think an F1 car would be that much faster than a P1. Even though F1 engines are more reliable than they used to be, an F1 probably couldn’t could cope with 24 hours of consecutive racing without some drastic adjustments, limiting the amount of HP. I’m also not sure 3 drivers could handle 8 hours each of “F1-style” racing in 24 hours. And of course, they couldn’t use the current Pirelli tyres in an endurance race…

Antonio Nartea
    Participant

And of course, they couldn’t use the current Pirelli tyres in an endurance race…

Imagine a stint on Pirellis round Le Mans. Pit exit – Dunlop Curve, Esses, Tertre Rouge and they’re gone. And Hunaudieres and the chicanes would be known as “the delamination zone”.

But seriously now, an F1 car wouldn’t really put a current era LMP1 prototype to shame around Le Mans. Sure it would be faster on a single lap, but not THAT much faster.

Look at the fastest laps around Silverstone in last year’s F1 GP and this year’s WEC round.
    Raikkonen did it in 1:34.661 in 2012.
    Kristensen clocked in at 1:42.767 in the race in 2013.
    That’s an 8 seconds gap between two cars built for entirely different purposes (sprint vs. endurance). And Le Mans isn’t Silverstone. On Silverstone we could say an F1 car truly feels and drives properly. These prototypes however are purpose-built for Le Mans, the aero packages, the engine setups, everything is thought and conceived around Le Mans and for Le Mans. The teams bring an year’s worth of work to that circuit alone. Round La Sarthe the gap would be smaller, I can bet. Plus, you’d have to have one hell of a driver behind the wheel of that F1 car to keep it together through the Porsche curves alone.

To be honest, I think with a bit of tweaking a top LMP1 car (I mean an Audi) could actually be faster round Le Mans (in particular) than a Caterham or Marussia, or even the current Williams or Sauber cars.

Keep an eye out for F1 Fanatic’s Le Mans 24 Hours preview coming up later this week!

MazdaChris
    Participant

If you go by the thoroughly unscientific method of using Gran Turismo, an F1 car appears to be abou 15 seconds quicker around La Sarthe than a P1 car. Though obviously that’s hardly an accurate test, and the F1 car would naturally be better in a ‘monza spec’ low downforce/low drag configuration. Still though, that’s less than the difference between P1 and P2

PaxJes
    Participant

off to Le Mans tomorrow morning.
    looking like it’s going to rain quite a bit, but if endured silverstone last year, i should be ok.

R.J. O’Connell
    Participant

Hoping the SRT Vipers win GTE Pro, or at least show well.

robk23
    Participant

I’ll pause the Le Mans race to go and watch the first BTCC race on Sunday morning, it will still count as watching the whole 24 hours if I only use that tape delay to skip through the adverts.

robk23
    Participant

For anyone watching Airport Live on BBC2 in the UK, they’re showing how special items are carried on British Airways flights. One of the items of air freight shown is the #73 Corvette Racing car bound for Le Mans.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.