F1

A viewing Boycot if Bahrain is now NOT cancelled?

Viewing 4 posts - 121 through 124 (of 124 total)
  • Author
    Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

If the political situation is so dire that a case could be made for the race being abandoned because of the protests, then the country is clearly in such a state that it has long since passed the point where it is unsafe for the teams and drivers to be there.

Ned Flanders
    Participant

Well said Scribe.

I don’t think the safety of the teams/ drivers would be an issue really. I mean, they could host the GP next week if they wanted and I doubt there would be any trouble.

It’d be simple. The government would simply create a huge convoy from the airport down the motorway to the circuit. They could simply block off all of the exits with tanks, threaten any locals who got within 100 metres of the convoy by shooting at them, and arrest any remaining trouble makers in the run up to the event.

Then, the F1 circus would spend a happy weekend cocooned within the circuit, which would be patrolled by the Bahraini, Saudi and UAE armies. No one in F1 would even know they were in Bahrain, as long as they could turn a blind eye to all the soldiers. It’d be like a little enclave of happiness inside a war zone

Zadak

If F1 does not go there simply because of political stances then it must also judge China and Turkey in the same way.

F1 is a world event, having it in these politicly “unusual” countries helps to bring them into the world view and may add pressure on them to change their ways due to them being fully exposed to the media for a little while.

We can’t simply cut off all interactions with countries we don’t agree with.

Bahrain may however actually be dangerous, I don’t think there should be a GP where military vehicles are needed to ensure the team’s and spectators’ safety.

We’ve got parallel discussions going here so I’m closing this one.

Here’s the discussion on the site:

Deadline day approaches for Bahrain decision

Viewing 4 posts - 121 through 124 (of 124 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.