Ferrari has favoured an aggressive approach again in its tyre selections for next week’s Azerbaijan Grand Prix, selecting a large allocaton of ultra-soft tyres.
The team used the ultra-soft rubber to lock out the front row of the grid for the Chinese Grand Prix by half a second.
World championship leader Sebastian Vettel will have 10 sets of the softest tyres available for F1’s third race at the Baku City Circuit, as will his team mate Kimi Raikkonen. The latter, unusually, has only selected a single set of the super-soft tyres.
Their rivals have chosen more conservatively: Mercedes will have nine sets of ultra-softs each, Red Bull eight.
2018 Azerbaijan Grand Prix tyre selections
|Daniel Ricciardo||Red Bull|
|Max Verstappen||Red Bull|
|Sergio Perez||Force India|
|Esteban Ocon||Force India|
|Carlos Sainz Jnr||Renault|
|Pierre Gasly||Toro Rosso|
|Brendon Hartley||Toro Rosso|
2018 F1 season
- Honda’s jet division helped F1 engineers solve power unit problem
- McLaren Racing losses rise after Honda split
- Ricciardo: Baku “s***show” was Red Bull’s fault
- “Drive to Survive Episode 1: All to Play For” reviewed
- F1’s television and social media audiences rose last year