Sergio Perez could return to drive for for Racing Point this weekend if he tests negative for Covid-19.
Perez is undergoing a test for Covid-19 today. If that confirms he is no longer carrying the virus, he will be able to enter the paddock.
Nico Hulkenberg was drafted in to replace Perez last weekend but was unable to race as his power unit failed before the start. Racing Point say it will announce tomorrow who will partner Lance Stroll in this weekend’s race.
“Public Health England have confirmed that Sergio Perez’s period of quarantine has been completed,” said Racing Point in a statement.
“In line with the FIA Code Of Conduct, Sergio requires a verified negative test result for COVID-19 before he can enter the paddock. The testing process is taking place today.
“The team expects to make a decision on who is driving alongside Lance later today or first thing tomorrow morning.”
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2020 F1 season
- Bottas vs Rosberg: Hamilton’s Mercedes team mates compared after 78 races each
- F1 revenues fell by $877 million in Covid-struck 2020 season
- Hamilton and Mercedes finally announce new deal for 2021 season
- F1 audience figures “strong” in 2020 despite dip in television viewers
- 2020 F1 driver rankings #1: Lewis Hamilton