McLaren has signed FIA Junior Karting champion Ugo Ugochukwu on a long-term deal, giving the Formula 1 team an option on the future services of the 13-year-old.Lando Norris, took over his representation last month.
Ugochukwu emulated Norris by winning the top FIA junior karting championship last year. Following a consistently strong season, he clinched the title with second place behind Arvid Lindblad at Wackersdorf in Germany.
“We’ve been watching Ugo’s progress with interest,” said McLaren Racing CEO Zak Brown, “so when the opportunity to sign an agreement with him became available, we had no hesitation moving on it.
“Now we’ll focus on giving Ugo the right support when he needs it to help him fulfil his potential.”
Ugochukwu, who has moved up to the senior class this year, said he felt “honoured to be signed by such an iconic team as McLaren Racing so early in my career.
“To have the support of McLaren is fantastic and what any young driver dreams of. I’m focused right now on developing as a driver and racer, so having McLaren by my side can only help me on and off the track.”
Don't miss anything new from RaceFans
Follow RaceFans on social media:
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2021 F1 season
- Official: F1 adds extra race in Austria as Turkish Grand Prix is cancelled
- Two reasons why Catalunya may not predict the championship – at least this year
- Ferrari draw encouragement for rest of 2021 from Spanish GP performance
- Like Ferrari, Red Bull have found they need more than a quick car to beat Mercedes
- Tsunoda concerned Sprint Qualifying will take practice time away from rookies