Pierre Gasly says his chances of returning to Red Bull depend on how Sergio Perez performs at the team this year.Max Verstappen is locked into a long-term deal at the team but Red Bull has changed his team mate three times since Daniel Ricciardo left in 2018. Gasly was his first replacement, but was dropped after just 12 races.
His replacement, Alexander Albon, lasted a year and a half before also being replaced. Sergio Perez took his place at the end of last season.
While Perez won for the team in Baku this year, Gasly scored a shock win for Red Bull’s junior team AlphaTauri at Monza last season. He is hopeful he will get a chance to return to the top team, but says the decision is “in Red Bull’s hands.”
“Max is signed for next year in the top team,” Gasly explained. “Sergio I think has a one-year contract so we’ll see what happens there and then what we do going forward together.
“I’m obviously contracted with them for some more time and I’m pretty confident we will get some answers at some point during the summer break or after the summer break.”
Gasly said Red Bull is eager to raise the performance of AlphaTauri, which was previously known as Toro Rosso. “They want a leader in AlphaTauri to push the team forward and really try to bring this team up,” he said. “I think there is a great working relationship now and a real will to push AlphaTauri forward.
“Obviously, as a driver, you always want to be in the best car and fighting for the best position and that’s what we are discussing. But ultimately I think, on my side, I’m only focussing on performing weekend after weekend, race after race and and showing my potential.
“It’s in their hands, whether they want me to step up or whether they are happy with the pair they have and it depends on how Sergio is performing and how they’re planning the future for AlphaTauri. So we’re discussing a lot of things.
“I think generally it’s really positive. It’s always better when there is communication and things are going well. At the moment there is no more answer than that but I expect some some more news over the next few weeks.”
View the current list of 2022 F1 drivers and teams
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2021 Hungarian Grand Prix
- Vettel’s disqualification stands as Aston Martin drop appeal bid
- Aston Martin considering appeal after FIA rejects request for review of Vettel disqualification
- Alpine doubt first win signals a performance breakthrough
- Vettel disqualification hearing to take place on Monday
- Aston Martin formally requests review of Vettel’s disqualification