Romain Grosjean will return to F1 in 2012 as Kimi Raikkonen’s team mate.
The pair will drive for Renault, who are set to become Lotus next year.
The announcement leaves Vitaly Petrov, who signed a two-year contract with the team 12 months ago, without a drive.
Grosjean spent seven races with Renault in 2009, partnering Fernando Alonso. But he was not retained for 2010 and eventually returned to GP2. He won the feeder series championship this year driving for DAMS.
Grosjean said: “There?óÔéĽÔäós a big grin on my face at the prospect of getting behind the wheel of next year?óÔéĽÔäós car, and I feel very privileged to be given this opportunity.
“To be racing alongside a former world champion and someone who is hungry and returning to Formula 1 will be a great experience, and I?óÔéĽÔäóm sure will help raise my level of performance too.
“I feel that my successful season in GP2 has helped me mature a lot, and I am a much more complete driver than I was last time I was competing in this sport.
“Returning to Enstone as a race driver feels like coming home. I will not disappoint and I wish to thank all the people without whom this return to F1 would not have been possible. Total, [who have supported] me since 2006, and Gravity Sport Management, are first on this list.”
Team principal Eric Boullier said: “I?óÔéĽÔäóm delighted that Romain Grosjean will side [with] Kimi next year.
“Romain has shown a lot of maturity in the past twelve months both through his GP2 Series victory and his development as third driver with us. We were impressed when he drove for us in the first practice sessions in Abu Dhabi and Brazil.
“We are confident that drafting him in to one of our driver?óÔéĽÔäós seats will help us in our rebuilding process. I would like to thank Vitaly Petrov and Bruno Senna for their contribution to the team?óÔéĽÔäós performance this year and I wish them all the best for the future.”
More information on the 2012 F1 season.
2012 F1 season
- Hulkenberg’s missed win should have been “high point” for Force India
- Kubica reveals he almost withdrew from fateful 2011 rally – and had 2012 Ferrari F1 deal
- 2012 F1 season Blu-Ray “Victorious Vettel” reviewed
- 2012 F1 season DVD “Victorious Vettel” reviewed
- New team radio reveals Vettel’s penalty protests
- The complete F1 Fanatic 2012 season review
- What F1 Fanatics thought of 2012: The year in polls
- The drivers and cars of 2012
- F1 Fanatic’s 50 article highlights of 2012
- 11 different Driver of the Weekend winners in 2012
Browse all 2012 F1 season articles
Image ?é?® Renault/LAT