Jerome D’Ambrosio will be Lotus’s third driver in 2012, the team has confirmed.
D’Ambrosio raced for Virgin in 2011 but was dropped by the team at the end of the year.
He was previously a member of the team’s young driver programme (when they were Renault) and tested for them in 2009 and 2010. The team said D’Ambrosio will take the place of Kimi Raikkonen or Romain Grosjean if either are unable to race.
D’Ambrosio said: “It?óÔé¼Ôäós a great feeling to be joining Lotus F1 Team. It?óÔé¼Ôäós an exciting next step in my career.
“I contested a complete season in F1 as a race driver for a smaller team where I learnt a lot about Formula 1. Now, I have the opportunity to work with one of the top teams with great potential for my future development.
“With my recent race experience, I know I can make a valuable contribution. Of course, I would love to be racing, but racing with a top team.
“Being associated with Lotus F1 Team should be more beneficial and this is the choice I have made. This opportunity is one I couldn?óÔé¼Ôäót afford to miss. My desire to get back in a race seat in the future is motivating me to do the best job possible in my new position.”
Team principal Eric Boullier added: “In Jerome we have someone we know well who integrates beneficially with the squad. He impressed as reserve driver for us in 2010 and at the end of that year he made a strong showing in the young driver test.”
See the updated list of 2012 F1 drivers and teams.
2012 F1 season
- Hulkenberg’s missed win should have been “high point” for Force India
- Kubica reveals he almost withdrew from fateful 2011 rally – and had 2012 Ferrari F1 deal
- 2012 F1 season Blu-Ray “Victorious Vettel” reviewed
- 2012 F1 season DVD “Victorious Vettel” reviewed
- New team radio reveals Vettel’s penalty protests
- The complete F1 Fanatic 2012 season review
- What F1 Fanatics thought of 2012: The year in polls
- The drivers and cars of 2012
- F1 Fanatic’s 50 article highlights of 2012
- 11 different Driver of the Weekend winners in 2012
Browse all 2012 F1 season articles
Image ?é?® Virgin Racing