SMP Racing has announced Jenson Button will race for them in the 2018-19 World Endurance Championship.
“As you imagine it’s always been a dream of mine to race at Le Mans,” said Button. “I think it’s every driver’s dream to take part and hopefully go on to clinch that win at Le Mans and I am definitely no different.”
Button will compete against former McLaren team mate Fernando Alonso, who is driving for Toyota in the championship. The series begins at Spa-Francorchamps next week.
Earlier this month Button made his debut in Japan’s Super GT championship. He finished second in the season-opening race at TI Aida, sharing a Honda NSX-GT with team mate Naoki Yamamoto.
World Endurance Championship
- 19 Hypercars entered for 2024 WEC season including third Ferrari with Kubica
- Schumacher to race in WEC for Alpine alongside Mercedes F1 role in 2024
- De Vries to race in WEC for Toyota alongside Formula E comeback
- Toyota number eight team take title with dominant Bahrain win
- Championship-leading Toyota wins pole and bonus point for Bahrain finale