“It’s not in our hands,” said Wolff, who said Williams’ driver decision is up to deputy team principal Claire Williams and chief technical officer Paddy Lowe.
“I think we have pretty much have [Ocon] set for an off-season supporting us and Force India. Doing lots of simulator work, being a reserve driver for maybe us and Force India.
“And getting ready for the year after. If, miraculously, a door opens at Williams, he’s going to take it. But it’s in Claire and Paddy’s hands and not in ours.”
Ocon is set to lose his place at Force India to Lance Stroll, who is the son of the team’s new investor Lawrence Stroll. Force India’s management has said they will not confirm the identity of their second driver alongside Sergio Perez until Ocon’s plans have been announced.
View the current list of 2019 F1 drivers and teams
Don't miss anything new from RaceFans
Follow RaceFans on social media:
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2019 F1 season
- McLaren Racing reports reduced £71 million loss in 2019
- Kvyat: Hockenheim podium last year was “my biggest achievement” so far
- How the FIA’s new encrypted fuel flow meter targets Ferrari’s suspected ‘aliasing’ trick
- “He smashed my office door”: 23 must-see moments from ‘Drive to Survive’ season two
- ‘I should have done a better job. There’s things that I know I can do better’