As late as December last year Hamilton said he was yet to start talks on his next contract. However he is keen to conclude discussions earlier than last time, and confirmed today talks are already underway.
“We have begun discussions,” he said. “Not a lot to say too much but we have started discussions and things are positive.”
Mercedes is known to be considering whether to replace Hamilton’s team mate Valtteri Bottas with junior driver George Russell, who currently races for Williams. Hamilton made it clear he believes the team should stick with the same line-up.
“Valtteri is my team now and we’ve both of us had our ups and downs in our careers,” he said. “But as I said, I think he is a fantastic team mate and I don’t necessarily see that it needs to change.”
Don't miss anything new from RaceFans
Follow RaceFans on social media:
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2021 Styrian Grand Prix
- The potentially crucial differences in how Bottas and Perez help their team mates
- How much-maligned Paul Ricard produced “one of the most exciting races for five years”
- Todt would “prefer less controversy” in Formula 1
- Wolff encouraged by ‘real progress’ from Bottas in French GP
- Red Bull’s French GP win disproves accusations over tyres and wings – Horner