Red Bull team principal Christian Horner says he is pleased the FIA will no longer allow team members to lobby stewards before they make decisions.Lewis Hamilton for his collision with Max Verstappen during the British Grand Prix.
Yesterday the stewards rejected a bid by Red Bull to reconsider their decision. However the stewards said they “note, with some concern, certain allegations made” by Red Bull in their submission. Horner said this related to Wolff’s approach to the stewards.
“Within the submission we talked about the process of approaching the stewards during the course of an event,” said Horner. “I think the FIA have obviously subsequently clarified the process for that now which we’re fine with and pleased for that clarification. So that was one of the main, pertinent reasons.”
Wolff spoke to the stewards at the invitation of FIA Formula 1 race director Michael Masi, in a radio exchange which was broadcast during the grand prix. Horner said he was concerned the conversation could have influenced the stewards’ decision.
“We have to think of the FIA like a jury and of course you don’t want that jury to be influenced one way or another before making a decision,” he said. “We were given the absolutely assurance that wasn’t the case and absolutely respect that from the FIA.
“I think with the clarifications moving forward, as well, it just prevents that scenario even becoming a possibility in the future.”
Horner added he had no concerns over whether their unsuccessful bid to have the incident reviewed had been considered objectively.
“We felt we had new evidence that we wanted them to consider,” he said. “We felt that they were objective about that.
“The one point we did raise was the objectivity could be prejudiced if you’re influenced by having a competitor go in with data prior to a decision being made. I think that we were assured that had no influence on the decision-making.
“With the clarifications that have come out now, regarding approaching the stewards office during the course of a grand prix, I think that clearly deals with that and we’re more than comfortable with that.”
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2021 Hungarian Grand Prix
- Vettel’s disqualification stands as Aston Martin drop appeal bid
- Aston Martin considering appeal after FIA rejects request for review of Vettel disqualification
- Alpine doubt first win signals a performance breakthrough
- Vettel disqualification hearing to take place on Monday
- Aston Martin formally requests review of Vettel’s disqualification