Pierre Gasly collected two penalty points on his licence after causing a collision with Fernando Alonso on the first lap of the Turkish Grand Prix.Sergio Perez on his inside. He touched wheels with Alonso, who spun onto the run-off, while Gasly continued.
On the radio Gasly said he was “sandwiched” between the two cars. Alonso blamed the AlphaTauri driver for the collision, saying: “What a stupid guy, Gasly.”
The stewards dismissed Gasly’s claim he was squeezed between the two cars and decided he “was predominantly at fault for the collision, as he did not leave enough space for Alonso on the outside.”
“It should also be pointed out that the stewards do not consider this incident as an unavoidable lap one turn one contact between two cars, as Gasly was not sandwiched between two cars when he touched Alonso’s car,” they added.
Gasly now has a total of three penalty points for the current 12-month period. He also served a five-second time penalty for the collision, and finished the race in sixth place.
Don't miss anything new from RaceFans
Follow RaceFans on social media:
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2021 Turkish Grand Prix
- Fifth place was possible from back row without slow pit stop – Sainz
- Giovinazzi ignoring position swap order was “not ideal”, admit team
- Bottas becomes 35th Formula 1 driver to reach 10 race wins
- Medical Car driver van der Merwe likely to miss further races due to Covid-19 rules
- Drivers to ask Masi why Alonso and Norris went unpunished for “very clear” incidents